Default what is the alarm for ?

I have 1999 phantom 38 with cat 3116 engines. On the boat yesterday I turned the starboard engine ignition on to check the fresh water gauge - didn't start the engine and as well as the usual buzzer there was another siren alarm similar to a car alarm but I couldn't see any warning lights , and alarm very quickly stopped. Also when I was taking the boat round to the fuel bay, only a two minute journey, I could hear the alarm going off briefly again in the cabin although there was no alarm on the flybridge.
    Volvo Paul has been a great help and I think he has nailed it down to a faulty exhaust overheat sensor just by what I've told him over the phone. He seems to remember the exhaust has a separate alarm , does anyone with a phantom have an experience of what this alarm may be and what the exhaust alarm sounds like ?
    Oil pressure and voltage has been checked and is good.
    many thanks
    Tim

Default Re: what is the alarm for ?

Just an alternative possibility that it's not engine related. My cabin and engine bay bilge pumps are connected to a central alarm at the dash that will go off only once the ignition is activated. (Not A Phantom. nor SS btw) Sounds like a car / smoke alarm and very loud. (bilge pump is not affected by ignition, it's always live). I've had it go off intermittently once due to a connection fault when the boat was in motion. Gave me quite the scare.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Just an alternative possibility that it's not engine related. My cabin and engine bay bilge pumps are connected to a central alarm at the dash that will go off only once the ignition is activated. (Not A Phantom. nor SS btw) Sounds like a car / smoke alarm and very loud. (bilge pump is not affected by ignition, it's always live). I've had it go off intermittently once due to a connection fault when the boat was in motion. Gave me quite the scare.
    +1. My boat has three alarms (sounders) behind the dash.

1) Bilge pump
    2) Seafire - on some boats these are integral to the display / override, on other boats there is an external sounder.
    3) Engine alarms

I think it would be useful if the OP could track it down to one of these alarms or as he says another alarm for exhaust temp.

Exhaust alarm. Go into engine room. The sensor is sticking out of the exhaust. The wire will have come off. I have it on squadron 58