Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is this thing called? And how to replace?

Weve begun our search for a boat of our own and are currently favouring the Elan Impression 384.

They have this rubber fender/bumper thing on the stern, in some boats its looking a bit worse for wear and cracked/crumbling (age/UV etc) and wed like to understand options to replace. Is there a specific name? Not quite a rub rail, searching bumper brings up fenders. Not a step...

We reckon on the following options:

1. Remove entirely; not sure what it looks like beneath
    2. Contact Elan but we doubt they carry replacements for a model thats been out of production ~9 years
    3. Find some way/someone to fabricate w replacement (who/how?!)
    4. Go with one or more generic stern bumper fenders

Any ideas/suggestions welcome as wed like to factor this in to any decisions we make!65E5DF6B-ED1C-465D-BADA-A5DF7C528D3B.jpeg8FCB4E4C-8949-4CC0-A537-FE9BD06406EE.jpeg65E5DF6B-ED1C-465D-BADA-A5DF7C528D3B.jpeg8FCB4E4C-8949-4CC0-A537-FE9BD06406EE.jpeg

Default Re: What is this thing called? And how to replace?

No idea what they might be called.

But I vaguely recall seeing them on Bavaria, I might be wrong, and I also vaguely recall someone buying same from a Bavaria dealer to install on their own yacht (not a Bavaria). The moulding is/was very stiff and very difficult to manipulate - being made for a yacht with a different sugar scoop profile.

I think if you walk round a couple of marinas you might define other manufacturers making something similar.

Jonathan

You've reminded me of all the ways you can arrange the emphasis in "What is this thing called love"...

Mike.

We got ours replaced a couple of years ago - the yard seemed to get it off a huge roll. About 200 euros which was mostly labour.

I never asked what it was called.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    We got ours replaced a couple of years ago - the yard seemed to get it off a huge roll.
    Surely youre talking about the sort of edge-moulding that runs around many 90s and early-2000s sugar-scoops? The brown fixed fender in the OPs picture cannot possibly have come off a roll, and was presumably moulded specially for the builder. Getting hold of a like-for-like replacement off the shelf from anywhere unconnected with either the builder or the fender contractor is vanishingly unlikely.

We do have similar fender-like foam mouldings made in ones and twos where I work. Unfortunately its not something I work on directly so I have no idea of prices, who we buy them from, or whether theyre available in other colours than the black ones we get. But our designers send them CAD files in all sorts of shapes and sizes and our Dutch supplier - whoever they are - would have no difficulty duplicating the one in the pic.

Im on holiday at the moment but I could possibly ask Procurement about it when Im back in the office?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Surely you’re talking about the sort of edge-moulding that runs around many 90s and early-2000s sugar-scoops? The brown fixed fender in the OP’s picture cannot possibly have come off a roll, and was presumably moulded specially for the builder. Getting hold of a like-for-like replacement off the shelf from anywhere unconnected with either the builder or the fender contractor is vanishingly unlikely.

We do have similar fender-like foam mouldings made in ones and twos where I work. Unfortunately it’s not something I work on directly so I have no idea of prices, who we buy them from, or whether they’re available in other colours than the black ones we get. But our designers send them CAD files in all sorts of shapes and sizes and our Dutch supplier - whoever they are - would have no difficulty duplicating the one in the pic.

I’m on holiday at the moment but I could possibly ask Procurement about it when I’m back in the office?

Pete
    Apologies - I couldn’t see the picture so guessed from the description

I removed mine (I have a 384 too) last year to clean-out the gunk and fugg behind it.

It's secured by 4 studs in the transom. They were difficult to access but once removed the "bumper" just popped-off. Most items on my 384 are stuck down at the factory with copious amounts of Sikaflex or similar, so i was glad this was one item that wasn't (there was a small bead around the studs).

My original intention was to remove it permanently, but changed my mind once i saw it without it fitted. The GRP hull moulding is shaped to accept the bumper, so there is a recess of sorts. It just looked odd without it, so i cleaned it up and refixed it.

You'd be surprised what Elan still keep in stock for the 384/434. I got in touch with the factory direct last year and was quite amazed at what they had sitting around. Might be worth a shot, contact them at:

spareparts@elan.si

They are really helpful people who love hearing from current owners, so give them a shot.

Thanks so much everyone for replying!

DawnRazor I think we follow you on Instagram (as youve used the 384 hashtag!).

We were checking out a marina today and had an arms length look at a 384 thats actually for sale; this one in particular could really do with it replacing not just cleaning (see picture). I think well get onto Elan to see what options we have!

AD5047BB-CB84-46DF-9765-C76C7D051AC1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bellacruiser View Post
    Thanks so much everyone for replying!

DawnRazor I think we follow you on Instagram (as you’ve used the 384 hashtag!).

We were checking out a marina today and had an arm’s length look at a 384 that’s actually for sale; this one in particular could really do with it replacing not just cleaning (see picture). I think we’ll get onto Elan to see what options we have!

AD5047BB-CB84-46DF-9765-C76C7D051AC1.jpg
    Always nice to chat to a follower!

Thats not a good one, such a shame. They get used as charter boats a lot in the Med and some get really abused. I've been lucky in that the one on mine is pretty immaculate (not a charter boat), other than a couple of small marks where the swim ladder has rubbed against it.

I spoke to someone a while ago who was told Elan do still stock them, but wait for it.........cost was 600-700. Ouch!

If you are ever in the Solent, give me a shout!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast