Default Taking Passarelle to Spain as hold luggage

I've bought a passarelle in the UK and I want to take it out to the boat in Torrevieja. I've taken tools etc in a suitcase before, but can I just take something like a passarelle (wrapped in bubble/card) & present it at check in or will I be shown the door?

Any experiences/tips welcome

Me Cheltenham, boat Sant Carles de la Rapida

Default Re: Taking Passarelle to Spain as hold luggage

I did it a few years ago on Ryanair...... no problem.

GL
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.........

Should be no problem unless it exceeds 32kg

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbarker View Post
    I've bought a passarelle in the UK and I want to take it out to the boat in Torrevieja. I've taken tools etc in a suitcase before, but can I just take something like a passarelle (wrapped in bubble/card) & present it at check in or will I be shown the door?

Any experiences/tips welcome
    Yeh

Just DHL or equivalent ?

The problem with where you are now , you can peruse the carriers website , eventually talk by phone to a principal decision maker who just to get you off is effectively a “ yes man / woman “ .
    Then appear at the airport all smug in that you did all the legwork and guess what the check in staff bump you off .
    That person you spoke to a couple of weeks ago has left the Co .

I had it with a dive bottle - compressed gas it’s on the no no list for hold luggage .
    Carriers web site was vague , I knew folks took there own stuff / gear to the Maldives and such etc .
    PADI site was useful , but they are not the carrier .
    I did get through to a person and was told as long as it’s empty and the valve is off then no problem .

So I rock up iirc Birmingham for a flight to Nice tell the girl I’ve got a empty cylinder in the checking bag , she asked few basic questions and checks it in .
    So far so good .
    About 20 mins before they call the flight , over the tannoy comes my name “ please report to door x sector Y .
    Off i toddle knock on the door to be greeted by armed officers about 5 with automatic rifles pointing at me .
    At one end about 10 M a table with the bag unopened.
    They stud behind a blast screen and asked me to empty the bag .
    Obviously I just pulled the cylinder out , while explaining the background of how I thought it was OK - you know it’s empty and has no valve etc .
    I then fished out ( had a 6 th sense this might happen ) copies of the PADI advice and emails from the carriers website etc .
    They stud down so to speak , and I repacked the bag .

So the point is this no joined up dots or policy , left hand says one thing right hand does something else .

I’ve since sent stuff or had stuff sent by air internationally by DHL to the marina office .
    Eg an electro hydraulic ram for a table lift - looks like a rifle in x section .

Good luck with the leg work .
    Last edited by Portofino; 07-06-19 at 11:10.

I take loads of outsized items with Easyjet.

You will need to call as there is no option to take luggage one way only online - unless you book the legs individually

No single item can weigh more than 32kg. Maximum total size (length + width + height) = under 275cm.

I have taken a paserelle and all sorts of other stuff.

Just wrap it and check the dimensions allowed.

Another trick ... with Norwegian you get an auto baggage label. Put in on and then go to over size baggage directly. I have never exceeded weight but if you wanted to there is no human intervention or checking

Thanks for all the advice. I've got GB Liners to wrap the passarelle so that it looks like a posh professional job and I'll see how it goes.