Smile Wrap a transom - does vinyl work

We had some old, tired small vinyls on the transom with our logo and names, which was causing problems to the gelcoat around it after several years of polishing the hull. The paint surface underneath was also untidy.

Having seen the local tradesmen using printed vinyl wraps on their white vans instead of sign-writing, we thought why not try it on our (removable) transom panel. I designed what we wanted on PowerPoint converted to a jpeg and sent, via my local yard, with a template for the panel size, to a graphics company.

Within days (for the princely sum of £60 plus vat!) what came back for the yard to fit was amazingly good. It is printed with UV tolerant inks on a special vinyl material that, apparently, has microscopic pores to prevent air being trapped when laying it on the surface to be covered.

We know it may not last more than a few years with wear and UV, but for this money I can replace it and/or change it regularly. It will not need waxing just a light clean with soapy water and looks better than the original separate vinyls (see photo)

It has only been on for a few weeks and has attracted a lot of attention, but will be interesting to see how well it lasts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not the destination...it's the glory of the ride

Default Re: Wrap a transom - does vinyl work

That’s lovely but alas wouldn’t work (I’m guessing) for boats like ours where the stern is the front door at anchor or in a marina where it always has fenders rubbing on it.

Mai

Looks fantastic.
    Beneteau First 31.7 owners Site http://www.beneteaufirst317.webs.com/

cool