Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: SNSM lifeboat lost

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    They needed a 7 class RNIL lifeboat.
    I don't want this to hijack a very sad thread, but I have to admit, when I read about windows being smashed in on capsize, that was my first thought too, as sad as this is. I don't know much about design of the French lifeboat fleet, but RNLI do design to try and prevent that type of occurence, and Tamar and Severn Class should be capable of withstanding capsizing and breaking windows. No RNLI lifeboats have been lost that way since Penlee in 1981

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanS View Post
    I don't want this to hijack a very sad thread, but I have to admit, when I read about windows being smashed in on capsize, that was my first thought too, as sad as this is. I don't know much about design of the French lifeboat fleet, but RNLI do design to try and prevent that type of occurence, and Tamar and Severn Class should be capable of withstanding capsizing and breaking windows. No RNLI lifeboats have been lost that way since Penlee in 1981
    I was wondering if they were a self righting design too...

RIP

PW

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Almost nothing is self-righting if sufficiently swamped.

That said, one would have thought a broken window to be well within the designed survivability envelope. Perhaps a watertight door was defective, damaged, or left open, perhaps something catastrophic happened to the hull or its machinery. All we know for sure is that there were viscous conditions out there...

...probably best to await the official inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    PW

Definitely self-righting ("autoredressable") but that relies on hull and cabin integrity. Internal flooding will compromise the self-righting capability of any lifeboat whatever its national design.

My heart goes out to the families of the men lost, and also to all the emergency services staff, and others watching from the shore, powerless to help.

What frightening photographs.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Lets wait until the reports and technical assessment of the accident before anyone wades in.

Remember there are three grieving families. Speculating about the cause or otherwise shows them a grave disrespect.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    They needed a 7 class RNIL lifeboat.
    Please, please, please can we avoid the RNLI vs SNSM arguments? I worried they might arise when I started the thread.

Brave people died.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Hats off to those brave fellows. That is well above my pay rate. Its one thing to be caught out ib weather but setting out into that, is very very different

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Holy shit! That's nasty.

What a terrible story.

A really sad outcome. I'm glad that I decided not to go down to Spain this year.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

We are in Sables D’Olonne, having decided to shelter here from the storm. On Friday the conditions in Olona Marina, which is some way up a river and around a bend, very well sheltered, were terrible we saw 42 knots of wind there. We went down to the harbour wall just to look at the sea, which was boiling, huge great breakers racing across the harbour entrance.

As we walked back we saw the lifeboat going out. We were amazed that (a) anyone would be out needing help given the pre warning of the severity of the storm (b) anyone, even the lifeboat, would contemplate going out. We stopped and watched, I have sailed for 60 years and have to say I have never felt such concern for a boat as this. No photo can give you any idea what the conditions were like.

They cleared the harbour entrance but seemed unable to clear the first live of breakers coming in 45 degrees on their starboard bow, they then, I do not know if deliberately, seemed to turn taking the waves on the beam and headed across into the bay towards the beach, then turned again and seemed to clear the first waves. The air was full of spray, and we lost sight of her then, maybe though, that was when she rolled. I am not sure. As we walked down the quay we both kept looking back, but we assumed they had got out, though we had no idea how they would get back in.

One thing not mentioned though which may be relevant to any boat failure, is that this was the old lifeboat, from the early/mid 80’s I am told. Their new lifeboat (I think about 4 years old) was for some reason out of commission, though we saw her moving in the harbour the day before. She was tied up just behind the old boat.

Never, ever doubt the bravery of the lifeboatmen.
    Last edited by Doineann; 08-06-19 at 09:43.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast