Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: SNSM lifeboat lost

And this is good weather in the Bay of Biscay - off Hossegor/Cap Breton :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcmNiSYkTHA

My posts weren't in anyway meant to degrade the design or the crews of the boats, just an interested enquiry.

I have no idea of the RNLI boats 'behaviour' in a similar situation so not trying to compare.

W.

Default Re: SNSM Capsize.

The boat didn't self-right because the wheelhouse was ruptured and flooded; the air in the superstructure is what provides the righting buoyancy. That applies just as much to RNLI designs.

Supposedly this was the station's old boat, originally from the mid 80s, because the modern one was out of commission in some way.

EDIT: Someone seems to have merged and/or moved threads in a confusing way, which is why this summary now seems misplaced or pointless.

Pete
    Last edited by prv; 09-06-19 at 10:40.

MY sympathy goes out to the families and friends of those who perished.
    The surviving crew members memory’s will haunt them very badly. My thoughts will go out to them also.
    All very brave men.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    . These people are not like the rest of us.
    They are not and we are lucky to have them.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

What a terribly tragic accident. And I echo the comments about bravery going out in seas like that.

Apologies for the tangent, what's the reason for the reverse bow on the new boat?

Lower protruding section is there to reduce slamming, I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Balbas View Post
    Apologies for the tangent, what's the reason for the reverse bow on the new boat?
    I'm not sure precisely, but it's very common, almost standard, on French fishing boats. From there it seems to have moved to various other craft in the area, such as the amphibious tripper-boat at St Vaast, so it's not surprising to see it on a French lifeboat.

Pete

The Baltic Workboats folk in Estonia claim to have patented this type of hull form with the 'beak' - maybe they have licensed it to a French builder as well re the new lifeboat.

https://bwb.ee/

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I'm not sure precisely, but it's very common, almost standard, on French fishing boats. From there it seems to have moved to various other craft in the area, such as the amphibious tripper-boat at St Vaast, so it's not surprising to see it on a French lifeboat.
    Some interesting stuff about it at https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89...ly%C3%A9drique

As far as I can see, the idea is that in calm conditions you have a normal planing hull and when the waves get bigger the beak pierces through them, giving a smoother ride with less pitching.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast