Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: SNSM lifeboat lost

It's a Pantocarene hull design
    Lots of lifeboats like that, and supposed to be very good in extreme weather.
    I wonder if the outcome had been different if the new one had been available, modern designs have much higher levels of system redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by bignick View Post
    It's a Pantocarene hull design
    Lots of lifeboats like that, and supposed to be very good in extreme weather.
    I wonder if the outcome had been different if the new one had been available, modern designs have much higher levels of system redundancy.
    I suspect it would have had stronger windows these days and I think all the services have learnt more about managing to keep engines going in extreme conditions. We tend to forget how much CAD and stress modelling have changed and improved designs in such a short space of time, especially for things like windows, doors, etc. which are surprisingly complex to model. As always it's a chain of events that led to the tragedy and in those conditions it wouldn't take much in those conditions. Like others I'm wondering what hell any boat was doing out in those conditions to need rescuing in the first place.

My sympathies and respect to all those involved, including (or perhaps especially) the families.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Some interesting stuff about it at https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89...ly%C3%A9drique

As far as I can see, the idea is that in calm conditions you have a normal planing hull and when the waves get bigger the beak pierces through them, giving a smoother ride with less pitching.
    Safehaven (those Irish folk who build ludicrously capable pilot boats) used the concept on their latest record attempt boat. There's some video of it on YouTube showing it being almost contemptuous of horrible conditions. Actually it's worth watching and remembering that this is an up-to-minute boat with no compromises needed for rescues and certainly no way it get near a beach of course. The wind was also a fraction on that in Storm Miguel which gives you some idea of just what that French lifeboat had to cope with.

https://www.safehavenmarine.com/sing...attempt-update

RIP for those who lost their lives.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Speaking to the ex cox, 1988 to 2012, of the Lizard Tyne class. They went into a wave off the slip very badly into an easterly gale, heard a crack but carried on no apparent damage until many hours later in daylight found there was some, not much water swilling about the wheelhouse. Later found the w/h front, which rakes forward, had been set in and returned, had dismounted some internal fittings to do with airflow to the windows, sheared the bolts which they never found, and some windows were leaking slightly, but none broke.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    Lower protruding section is there to reduce slamming, I would guess.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfHkHjChE18

This video explains the advantages of the pantocarene hull.

As an aside, here 1300 hp drives this 67' boat at 28 knots, same hp as 45' Shannon.

The pilot boats operating in the Thames estuary claim a £50k fuel saving per year and per boat compared with previous generation.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 11-06-19 at 02:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post

As an aside, here 1300 hp drives this 67' boat at 28 knots, same hp as 45' Shannon.

I think it was agreed not to go down that route on this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    It's an 'aside' which even the most religious zealot would think was inappropriate to pursue in this thread.
    Shame on you.

Those photos of the LB heading out are incredibly sad. The seas look horrific...however when I have taken photos of what I thought of really big conditions when I have been sailing, they always look like ripples on a millpond, so the conditions that lifeboat were in must have been truly appalling applying the same logic.

I think a lot of us would love to be a lifeboatman, but those sad pictures show what started out as what could have been an adventure tinged with some doubt and fear rapidly became everyone's worst nightmare. Incredibly sad, incredibly brave and selfless people. RIP.
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Well said, IainC

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast