Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: SNSM lifeboat lost

We had a recurring problem with one of these
    https://www.google.com/search?q=cygn...KSTvFaEYqduOM:

The huge flat foredeck, plus raked forward windows, gave the sea nowhere to go when it dumped a breaker on us on Hayle bar. The wider central window shattered. Next time we had a laminated glass, it folded and came through. Then we fitted an ally T bar across the laminated glass, which is too wide and unsupported. Just an idea of how much pressure there is in even a moderate sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor_Sailor View Post
    It's an 'aside' which even the most religious zealot would think was inappropriate to pursue in this thread.
    Shame on you.
    I disagree with your view. I am sure Sybarite offered the information in good faith in support of a point being made about hull shape.

I actually believe that thread drift, comment and speculation enriches a thread and makes it more useful. Restricting comments to those that you, or others feels appropriate to the OP is limiting.

There is nothing worse than censorship to kill information transfer.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    If you need 'information transfer' about Sybarite's pet subject, you can read any number of extremely long and heated threads going back quite some time.

But to reignite them here will see them inevitably degenerate into the same old slanging match. Nothing new will be added, and a discussion of budgets or 'value for money' or equipment and boat choices in my view would be highly unseemly played out against the background of the death of these lifeboatmen.

If you want to wage a faux war against internet censorship you are free to wade right in.
    Or start another thread.
    Or read all the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    I disagree with your view. I am sure Sybarite offered the information in good faith in support of a point being made about hull shape.

I actually believe that thread drift, comment and speculation enriches a thread and makes it more useful. Restricting comments to those that you, or others feels appropriate to the OP is limiting.

If you need 'information transfer' about Sybarite's pet subject, you can read any number of extremely long and heated threads going back quite some time.

But to reignite them here will see them inevitably degenerate into the same old slanging match. Nothing new will be added, and a discussion of budgets or 'value for money' or equipment and boat choices in my view would be highly unseemly played out against the background of the death of these lifeboatmen.

If you want to wage a faux war against internet censorship you are free to wade right in.
    Or start another thread.
    The original thread drift was mine. I asked about the hull shape and when doing so I did wonder whether it was sensible to do it in this thread, but as I deliberately asking whether the new hull would have been safer - note I am still not! - then I considered it fair enough given that a picture of the two boats had been posted and that comment had already been made about the new boat being in service (but presumably either unsuitable, unserviceable or in some other way undesirable given the variables involved).

I don't have any involvement with the RNLI (well there was that one time...) but have been involved with other (land based) rescue organisations, so I've an interest in circumstances where safety crews go out with kit on which their lives depend. I've obviously got an interest in boats and sailing and coastguards and rescue services. I don't see it as being disrespectful to ask questions about the kit and equipment used.

I am sorry if you disagree, but there we have it.

Note at no point have I - or anyone that I've seen - had anything other than absolute admiration for the crew going out in that weather. And I think everyone has displayed dismay and horror at the outcome and wished we could do anything to turn back time and stop this awful event happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Balbas View Post
    I am sorry if you disagree, but there we have it.
    No disagreement there - but Sybarite added an 'aside' opening up his well worn argument about the comparative merits of RNLI boats and those in the SNSM. He knows this to be both highly contentious and fully aware of how the resulting debate will develop.

That, and that alone was challenged as being unnecessary in this thread.

It's an 'aside' which even the most religious zealot would think was inappropriate to pursue in this thread.
    Shame on you.
    The thread had drifted as to the advantages of a pantocarene hull. I answered in that context.

Or start another thread.
    You didn't react to post #10.

I wonder why not?

Sybarite made a comment (explicitly 'as an aside') way back in post no. 46. Those who didn't like it could have ignored it. Instead most of the subsequent 11 posts have been a thread drift about thread drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    You didn't react to post #10.

I wonder why not?
    Because at the time I had no idea what a "7 class RNIL lifeboat" might be.

But having now realised it was cryptic instead of simply gibberish, I'm happy to accept it too was unnecessary.

Because at the time I had no idea what a "7 class RNIL lifeboat" might be.

But having now realised it was cryptic instead of simply gibberish, I'm happy to accept it too was unnecessary.
    Why do you say that. I made a perfectly reasonable comment. I too was appalled at the loss of life but i felt that their equipment was not up to the job and made the reasonable comment that a Seven class was what was needed in those conditions. One person subsequently objected. I am not sure who gets to decide what is and isn't to be discussed here. I am not sure what sin I have committed.

Personally I find it extremely odd that when a tragedy occurs some one here decides that it is not appropriate to discuss possible causes or solutions. We would never have learned anything from Fastnet 79 if the same view had prevailed.

I shall say no more.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast