Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Relief from Radio Checks on 16

Now I know. Thanks.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Useful info, thanks.
    And for ref, here is the map of NCI stations - click a station name to get its operational capabilities:
    https://www.nci.org.uk/content/station-map-and-list
    Black Sheep. Not black, but sometimes sheepish

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I've always used NCI if they are somewhere near or a DSC test call if there is no NCI within range.

NCI love to help and can be trusted to come up with a recent weather forecast and quick summary of anything else local that you should be aware of - why does anyone bother the coastguard if there is an NCI nearby?
    So what do you do? Call them up on 16 , then ask for an RC, wasting the same amount of air space, or do you call them on another channel
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    So what do you do? Call them up on 16 , then ask for an RC, wasting the same amount of air space, or do you call them on another channel
    If you click the link in post #12, then click on a station, you will see the channels that they use. The ones i clicked on seemed to use ch 65 and said not to call them on 16.

Useful thread, as i was also unaware of this (not that i routinely do radios checks), they also seem to give weather information too..
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Or even better real-time sea state. Portland NCI is particularly good for conditions before you head for the Bill.
    Last edited by Hadenough; 17-06-19 at 13:48.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    If you click the link in post #12, then click on a station, you will see the channels that they use. The ones i clicked on seemed to use ch 65 and said not to call them on 16.

Useful thread, as i was also unaware of this (not that i routinely do radios checks), they also seem to give weather information too..
    Exactly - channel 65 has been allocated, at least informally, to the NCI. They have pretty good coverage at least round the southern half of the country and they love to help.

Having recently installed an AIS transceiver I experienced a new sort of radio check yesterday. Passing Whitstable and about 2 miles off, I had a call from Dover CG asking me for a radio check. Well, really.
    However a couple of minutes later they called Whitstable lifeboat just launched on exercise, so I guess the CG picked on me to ensure comms with the lifeboat should be OK.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12