Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sailing fun in southern Portugal

I have a sailing enthusiast friend visiting for a few weeks, at which time I'll be anchored somewhere around Faro.

Can anyone recommend some day sails, trips, and perhaps a couple of longer sails in the region? Most of what I've read just describes it as a coast of passage, which doesn't bode well.

Default Re: Sailing fun in southern Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife View Post
    I have a sailing enthusiast friend visiting for a few weeks, at which time I'll be anchored somewhere around Faro.

Can anyone recommend some day sails, trips, and perhaps a couple of longer sails in the region? Most of what I've read just describes it as a coast of passage, which doesn't bode well.
    Up the Guadiana is lovely, though must be getting hot up there by now. Longish day from Cultara if you get the tides right. Or just round the Ria Formosa can be fun out of the swell. Or Tavira closer.

If you plan to go ashore in Faro itself gimme shout if you fancy a quick beer.

Going west, , Albufuera, Vilamora, Portimao, Lagos all in easy distance.

Other way, as mentioned, the river with Villa Real and Ayamonte. Then we'll worth a look, Isla Canela.

Lots to enjoy! Hope it goes well.

Oh and watch out for the two billion pot markers!

I'm not sure its a full day trip but if you can get out to the island of Culatra, tie up or anchor and have a walk ashore it is very nice. I don't know what depths there are at the North East (I was on a motor boat sightseeing boat trip for the day so no boaty details) but there was an anchored yacht up there next to a beautiful beach with nobody on it.
    Still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Oh and watch out for the two billion pot markers!
    Hate them. I remember dodging them on the course I did you with back in Gib. Barely came across any in two years out west in the Med. Then coming down the Spanish east coast is littered with them, especially between Almunecar and Malaga.

Will be around after tomoz, should be down at Faro end Wednesday or Thursday, give us a shout, Miller Time at 18:00!

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Will be around after tomoz, should be down at Faro end Wednesday or Thursday, give us a shout, Miller Time at 18:00!
    I'm likely to be in Gib for next week, so not in Faro for some time yet. Perhaps never if keeps blowing Westerlies for weeks on end.
    Last edited by Mikedefieslife; 09-06-19 at 12:15.

I'm likely to be in Gib for next week, so not in Faro for some time yet. Perhaps never if keeps blowing Westerlies for weeks on end.
    Top tip. When westerlies blow in the Straits, the hard yakka bit is getting from Gib to the other side of Tarifa. Bash through that and it's often nice on the other side.

Week ahead looks very variable for Faro according to W Guru. Been blowing 20+ kts westerlies on mooring most afternoons for the last few days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast