Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sailing fun in southern Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Top tip. When westerlies blow in the Straits, the hard yakka bit is getting from Gib to the other side of Tarifa. Bash through that and it's often nice on the other side.
    Oh, that can be fun, took us 13 hrs of bashing one time from Ceuta to Barbate

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Oh, that can be fun, took us 13 hrs of bashing one time from Ceuta to Barbate
    I always used to allow around ten hours so not too bad. Can always take a break anchoring east of Tarifa.

Trouble is with westerlies and using the tide advantage it's always gonna be wind against tide so sometimes a tad bumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife View Post
    I have a sailing enthusiast friend visiting for a few weeks, at which time I'll be anchored somewhere around Faro.

Can anyone recommend some day sails, trips, and perhaps a couple of longer sails in the region? Most of what I've read just describes it as a coast of passage, which doesn't bode well.
    If you're looking for a slightly longer trip then down to Cadiz and back. Rota is a good marina with nice town. Depends on your depth El Rompidou is a shorter trip. It used to be nice but I believe there's a new marina now and I haven't been there since it was installed.
    So many places to go, it depends what ratio of sailing against lounging about you want to enjoy. Definitely not only a coast of passage.
    I think this comment comes from the "old" days when Portuguese officialdom made it very difficult when arriving and checking in, so many people skipped the whole of Portugal on the way to the med and used Spain to provision.

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    If you're looking for a slightly longer trip then down to Cadiz and back. Rota is a good marina with nice town. Depends on your depth El Rompidou is a shorter trip. It used to be nice but I believe there's a new marina now and I haven't been there since it was installed.
    So many places to go, it depends what ratio of sailing against lounging about you want to enjoy. Definitely not only a coast of passage.
    I think this comment comes from the "old" days when Portuguese officialdom made it very difficult when arriving and checking in, so many people skipped the whole of Portugal on the way to the med and used Spain to provision.
    Thanks for the tips. Though I don't do marinas, and I'll be coming up from Cadiz so probably won't want to go back and forth 3 times.

I'm sure I'll figure something out to keep them entertained.

Thanks for the tips. Though I don't do marinas, and I'll be coming up from Cadiz so probably won't want to go back and forth 3 times.

I'm sure I'll figure something out to keep them entertained.
    Try to avoid contact with Policia Maritima as they will ask if you've paid light dues. No longer 2 euro for 6 months, all "foreign" boats now charged 70 euros for 6 months, we've just had to pay it!

Try to avoid contact with Policia Maritima as they will ask if you've paid light dues. No longer 2 euro for 6 months, all "foreign" boats now charged 70 euros for 6 months, we've just had to pay it!
    I understand why the increase has come about but why for only 6 months? It always used to be for a year. Does it mean that the annual cost will now be 140 euros?

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    I understand why the increase has come about but why for only 6 months? It always used to be for a year. Does it mean that the annual cost will now be 140 euros?
    Strange discussion today at Faro Capitania. Originally, we paid 2 euro for 6 months but last year and several previous ones, we paid 11.50 for 12 months coastal. Today were informed all foreign flagged boats now have to pay the 70 for 6 months. Not allowed to pay for 12 at one go to save us having to go back again. The paperwork has an expiry date 16/12/2019.

We were also asked about engine size and it was suggested that we visit the Finances dept, no doubt to pay the circulation tax as well which is based on engine size, which we won't be doing. Unless they're updating that as well, the tax is only payable if the boat is in Portugal for 183 consecutive days in a year and the clock starts again in January so, a few days visit to Spain at the end of June sorts that.

Strange discussion today at Faro Capitania. Originally, we paid 2 euro for 6 months but last year and several previous ones, we paid 11.50 for 12 months coastal. Today were informed all foreign flagged boats now have to pay the 70 for 6 months. Not allowed to pay for 12 at one go to save us having to go back again. The paperwork has an expiry date 16/12/2019.

We were also asked about engine size and it was suggested that we visit the Finances dept, no doubt to pay the circulation tax as well which is based on engine size, which we won't be doing. Unless they're updating that as well, the tax is only payable if the boat is in Portugal for 183 consecutive days in a year and the clock starts again in January so, a few days visit to Spain at the end of June sorts that.
    The situation on light dues appears vary depending on where you go. It is my understanding that in Portimao and Lagos you could get an annual certificate for €70 but this may now have changed❓

Circulation tax is about €60 per year on a 40HP engined boat but really bites on a high powered power boat,

Older boats or boats with smaller engines are not liable for circulation tax.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

I presume you are supposed to go to some kind of port police to pay your dues if not visiting marinas? As an EU boat coming from a schengen country, i think the only time Iíve done this was in Greece for the DEKPA.

I presume you are supposed to go to some kind of port police to pay your dues if not visiting marinas? As an EU boat coming from a schengen country, i think the only time I’ve done this was in Greece for the DEKPA.
    Need to go to the office of the Capitania to pay light dues normally.
    Circulation tax is normally paid at the finances office as you would your car tax. Of course you only pay this if you "qualify", - larger than 20 kw and staying longer than 183 days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12