Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Care of a blue hull

i am thinking of buying a boat with a blue hull, which I believe to be of blue gelcoat.
    Obviously concerned about it fading and looking horrid, but obviously polishing regularly would help once cut back and shiny
    Are some polishes better than others? I have heard that there are UV protective polishes. and ptfe polishes.
    Also there is a lot of press in car motoring circles about nano technology polishes, would any of these help?
    I have also seen there is a product called Owatrol Marine Polytrol Gelcoat Surface Restorer, which soaks into the top surface...… sounds different but anyone had any experience of this product?

Your views appreciated!

David

Default Re: Care of a blue hull

Owatrol works,but you cant go back to polishing after wards,machine buff and plenty of regular waxing is proberly best,try the coloured wax

Welcome to the forums!

Do not use Owatrol, it's filthy stuff which leaves an ugly residue which is almost impossible to remove. I used it once, never again.

I used to polish my old Hallberg-Rassy (which had blue gelcoat hull stripes) with Meguiars products. I'd do two coats of their 45 Polish, followed by two coats of their 56 Wax. Both products are easy to apply by hand and buff off easily. I started using this regime after talking to the guys who were commissioning a brand new Oyster yacht. The blue gelcoat would look OK for maybe 6 months after this treatment.

In the end, I bit the bullet and had the blue stripes sprayed with Awlgrip.

My 1980 Sadler has an original gelcoat light blue hull which is still in excellent condition.
    I usually ‘T-cut’ it every other year and use a standard automotive polish, once after lifting out in October and once before launching in April.

Nothing looks as good as a dark blue hull when new. Same thing with teak decks.
    Give it a deal of thought.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

At least you haven’t got a red* one!

* or rather, blotchy pink...

Tam Lin was chalky blue when I bought her and I thought I would be able to polish her to a nice finish. Well, polish, cutting compound and fine wet and dry didn’t work so I ended up painting her.
    He said, "All men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them."

Easier to wrap it now, and don't bother with too much maintenance as it'll look like new when unwrapped.

You won't stop one from fading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr DK View Post
    i am thines about nano technology polishes, would any of these help?
    I have also seen there is a product called Owatrol Marine Polytrol Gelcoat Surface Restorer, which soaks into the top surface...… sounds different but anyone had any experience of this product?

Your views appreciated!king of buying a boat with a blue hull, which I believe to be of blue gelcoat.
    Obviously concerned about it fading and looking horrid, but obviously polishing regularly would help once cut back and shiny
    Are some polishes better than others? I have heard that there are UV protective polishes. and ptfe polishes.
    Also there is a lot of press in car motoring circles

David
    IMHO (I'm biased) a gleaming dark blue hull is a thing of beauty. As the owner of a now 30 year old one I can attest that its a shame it doesn't stay that way for too long. I machine compounded and waxed mine every year for 10 years up until three years ago and she always looked stunning afterwards but she did seem to have thick gelcoat which more modern boats may not have. I tried every possible polish and eventually settled on Farecla, (but not bought through a chandlery) I finally gave her a 27th birthday present Awlgrip respray three years ago and now all it takes is a wash with car wax shampoo ( did come with a £14K bill though...! )

Brest May 2019.jpg

My blue hull is now 13 years old and is still shiny. It has a power polish once a year, same as my previous white hulled boat. Not a problem! Buy it...
    www.boat-angling.co.uk for information on fishing in the Eastern Solent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast