Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Historic schooner sunk by container ship...

Built in 1883, the "No 5 Elbe" was a 121ft pilot schooner, which had just had a £1.3 million refit. Sunk rather spectacularly by a container ship. Story here - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ring-five.html

Default Re: Historic schooner sunk by container ship...

"Steam gives way to sail"
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    "Steam gives way to sail"
    Was it actually sailing at the time?
    Looks like quite a narrow stretch of water.

There is a thread on the Wooden boat forum about this, apparently it was f5 gusting up to f7& the Elbe got into a position where she had little room to manouver out of the main channel & then missed stays when she went about, result was she paid of on the wrong tack straight across the bows of the container ship. Elbe has only just had a very costly rebuild. Very lucky nobody was killed. link here,http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...NDER-BIRD-Sunk,

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

“Elbe no.5” much better known as “Wander Bird” is a very famous schooner indeed and I have no doubt that she will be back; I dare say the cap is being passed round in German yacht clubs even now.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    “Elbe no.5” much better known as “Wander Bird” is a very famous schooner indeed and I have no doubt that she will be back; I dare say the cap is being passed round in German yacht clubs even now.
    Perhaps the proceeds might be better directed to the person who is 'seriously injured'? I hope full recoveries are made by all those hurt.
    It can't have been a nice experience for those on the container boat, having WAFI stumble under the bow and then have all the power gives way to sail crap thrown at them.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Perhaps the proceeds might be better directed to the person who is 'seriously injured'? I hope full recoveries are made by all those hurt.
    It can't have been a nice experience for those on the container boat, having WAFI stumble under the bow and then have all the power gives way to sail crap thrown at them.
    I think you will find that the injuries are an insurance matter.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I believe that it has been established in the courts that continuing to tack up a channel is "standing on" so perhaps the give-way vessel should also be taking account of the possibility that the stand-on vessel misses stays.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I can't help thinking that "continuing to tack up a channel" is not a smart thing to when sharing that channel with not very manoeuvrable commercial vessels that are much bigger than you. It may be my right as a sailing boat, but there are lots of things that I have the right to do, but are capable of having a bad outcome.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I believe that it has been established in the courts that continuing to tack up a channel is "standing on" so perhaps the give-way vessel should also be taking account of the possibility that the stand-on vessel misses stays.
    I don't know exactly where the incident occurred, but the Elbe is not an easy place to tack in, with only a narrow channel outside the fairway and tides of 3-4 knots. The ship would have had few options other than just slowing down. Sailing craft are not permitted to sail in the buoyed fairway unless they are tacking, or crossing at near right-angle.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast