Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Spinlocks to route genoa sheets to winches?????

This is the best photo that I can upload. For some reason a more detailed photo keeps failing to upload! Probably me!

116.jpg
    Enjoy your sailing,
    Jaguar 25

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. How about getting a bullseye that fits onto the aft end of the T track? (He says glibly having checked the eye-watering prices...).

I had the same problem. My sheets lead aft and then to the winch. The winches both turn clockwise meaning the leads differ for each side.

I produced a turning block with a large diameter sheave (160mm I think) which sat on a "wobble plate". This meant the lead into this sheave and the exit route to the winch could be optimised. Once correctly adjusted, it could be locked.

I was immensely proud of my invention. Lewmar, Barton and the rest turned up their noses at it!
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

I wonder whether setting the winch onto a block at a slight angle might work?
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Generally winch manufacturers specify a lead angle for the lines coming onto the winch (e.g. for Lewmar typically 5-10 degrees below horizontal). I doubt you could achieve that on your current setup with a ring at the back of the track. Thus you would either need a ring/block/fairlead on the coachroof quite close to the winch or would need to raise or re-angle the winches themselves.

Repositioning the winches is more work structurally, but would not introduce any extra friction. Adding fairleads would probably be easier, but would add some friction. Given the small angle of deflection you could almost certainly get away with bullseyes which are very easy to install (though NB any holes in the deck/coachroof need to be carefully sealed to avoid the risk of allowing water into the core).

I would go for fitting angled wooden pads under the winch, probably the best way, you would use the original fastening holes and fit longer bolts. Remove a winch and check to see what is the ideal angled pad, easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar 25 View Post
    This is the best photo that I can upload. For some reason a more detailed photo keeps failing to upload! Probably me!

116.jpg
    Apologises if I'm missing something but where do you cleat any of your halyards or sheets. Given that you've only got one winch per side it can only do one job at a time and other lines from the mast need to cleated somewhere to free off the winch. It also doesn't seem to be self tailing which makes it more difficult. Once you've adjusted the genoa sheets where do you cleat them off?
    Ah! are there jammers in font of the winch on the wooden block? OK got it now but still not sure how you cleat off your genoa sheets.
    Last edited by greeny; 10-06-19 at 13:57.

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Apologises if I'm missing something but where do you cleat any of your halyards or sheets. Given that you've only got one winch per side it can only do one job at a time and other lines from the mast need to cleated somewhere to free off the winch. It also doesn't seem to be self tailing which makes it more difficult. Once you've adjusted the genoa sheets where do you cleat them off?
    Ah! are there jammers in font of the winch on the wooden block? OK got it now but still not sure how you cleat off your genoa sheets.
    The halyards run from the the blocks at the bottom of the mast via double turning blocks on each side of the coach roof to jamming cleats. Having actually sailed her yet but this doesn't appear to be unusual for an 18 foot boat. Halyards can be tensioned using the winches prior to needing them for the genoa sheets. I am considering adding jamming cleats after the winches to better secure the genoa sheets.
    Enjoy your sailing,
    Jaguar 25

The OP photo shows a stand up block for the jib sheet. Putting the sheet about 50 mm above the track. I have seen much bigger boats where the block is actually a wide sheave hard mounted very close to the track. It is wide to cope with varying approach angles to the sheave. Sorry can't find any in the catalogues so no picture. ol'will

+1

The stand-up isn't needed. It looks a lot like the Barton Gen. car #32311 (here http://www.bartonmarine.com/products...32mm-track.asp). Something like the #32100 might be more appropriate. Lots easier changing the genoa car than modifying the winch mount and better that adding new blocks/eyes.
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12