Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Adding a 3rd battery and parallel the current 1 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    ..............Use existing battery switch.
    Start on 1, (assuming that this is the start bank), leave on 1 for half hour or so (this May need to be monitored to check starter bank has recharged)
    Switch to 2 (assuming domestic bank) to then charge domestics.
    1 and 2 gives a single bank as they are joined together.
    ........but not while OB engine is running, to avoid a voltage spike, damaging engine management system.

Default Re: Adding a 3rd battery and parallel the current 1 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by AndieMac View Post
    ........but not while OB engine is running, to avoid a voltage spike, damaging engine management system.
    Therein lies the problem of a 1,2,both switch.

Should the switch inadvertently go through the off position when switching from 1 to 2 there is also the possibility of damaging the alternator as momentarily it is disconnected.

https://www.force4.co.uk/blue-sea-ad...20a%20battery&

This product including the VSR does the job of switching for you. However there is no suppression for the possible voltage spike when connecting the 2 banks. The battery itself will, though act as a huge voltage sink and dampen any spike.
    Long time since I have done any battery theory so happy to have my memory refreshed.

Talking of which, my statement of not liking charging both together seems to be flawed as this is the principle of the VSR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12