Thread: Onan Generator

Default Onan Generator

We have an old Onan generator which works well when going, but I suspect the old analogue controller is causing starting problems. We've already spent a lot getting it fixed a few times. Would it be possible to change the controller without changing the whole engine/generarator?

Default Re: Onan Generator

Surely, the starting of the engine is a completely different thing to the control of the alternator? Anyway, whatever. A friend who builds and runs numerous gensets on a a commercial basis uses "Deepsea generator control panels"

Possibly their 402 start control panel

https://www.deepseaelectronics.com/g...ontrol-modules

with a suitable digital AVR

https://www.deepseaelectronics.com/g...regulators-avr

I do know that his entire fleet is on these controllers and AVR's, and everytime he buys a new set, the first step is to rip out whatever crap is in there and replace it with Deep Sea ... but you would need to talk to someone who knows that they are doing I suspect as you need the programming kit for the AVR.

Thanks rszemeti - have reached out and this may save us £1000s on the cost of a new generator. - the cost of their controllers etc. seem very competitive.....

Quote Originally Posted by sfellows View Post
    Thanks rszemeti - have reached out and this may save us £1000s on the cost of a new generator. - the cost of their controllers etc. seem very competitive.....
    You are welcome, and if you get stuck, my friend does fit this stuff for people, but I suspect you are not anywhere near Mansfield (Nottingham) ... so it's probably not of much help.

I would guess you have the older relay controlled engine control on your generator, is uses a separate AVR mounted in the back on the control box. If you have this system it is not possible to upgrade to the later PCB controlled system as the later system includes electronic engine speed control, where your relay controlled system has fixed engine speed and a twin coil stop solenoid. You could use a Deepsea engine control unit and the original Onan AVR, the only issue I can see is that the original relay based control it setup to flash the field on startup every time you start the unit. You would need to build this into the new control.