Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Where have all the cradles gone?

I was hoping that as the season got busier a number of second-hand cradles would appear on eBay and Gumtree but there are hardly any about. I need something suitable for a 26 foot fin keeler. Any suggestions for where else to look?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Where have all the cradles gone?

I think more boats are staying on the hard each year as the owners try and decide what to do

And Health & Safety issues have people worried about ' just welding up ' a common sense design, now one has to be a certified engineer with heaps of insurance, look at the accident in Weymouth and that mega-yacht which fell off a ship, both apparently cradle failures - the law suit if a boat fell on a passer by doesn't bear thinking about.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    And Health & Safety issues have people worried about ' just welding up ' a common sense design, now one has to be a certified engineer with heaps of insurance, look at the accident in Weymouth and that mega-yacht which fell off a ship, both apparently cradle failures - the law suit if a boat fell on a passer by doesn't bear thinking about.
    Weymouth was caused by removing one of the props. Not cradle design. According to the inquest.

I was keeping a vague eye out last year and there seemed to be new ones coming up for sale every few weeks

What about jackstands? They are the more common approach here.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor211 View Post
    Weymouth was caused by removing one of the props. Not cradle design. According to the inquest.
    It still makes people wary of issuing cradle designs and instructions...

Quote Originally Posted by sailor211 View Post
    There was another issue - not pursued by the coroner. That particular 'cradle' was a DIY product, made up about 20 years earlier, and there was evidence it had considerable corrosion..... The structure certainly was not nearly as strong as when new.

That might be a cue to owners of existing cradles - to inspect critically each year, 'do an MOT'. They don't last forever, especially in an exposed location with salt-laden winter winds. If there's rust, dig and scrape and fix it. Don't just accept it.

Good Point;

sadly time flies past , the trestles / cradle we built ' yesterday ' are suddenly thirty years old, and uninsured...

The sad fact is there are a lot less handy engineer types to make these sort of things nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Good Point;

sadly time flies past , the trestles / cradle we built ' yesterday ' are suddenly thirty years old, and uninsured...

The sad fact is there are a lot less handy engineer types to make these sort of things nowadays.
    Absolutely true. The F.E.College where I did a “night school” class in welding many years ago is to close in 6 weeks time. Few people are taught metal working skills these days.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast