Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    59

    Default Where have all the cradles gone?

    I was hoping that as the season got busier a number of second-hand cradles would appear on eBay and Gumtree but there are hardly any about. I need something suitable for a 26 foot fin keeler. Any suggestions for where else to look?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    811

    Default Re: Where have all the cradles gone?

    I think more boats are staying on the hard each year as the owners try and decide what to do

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sussex / Hants
    Posts
    28,414

    Default Re: Where have all the cradles gone?

    And Health & Safety issues have people worried about ' just welding up ' a common sense design, now one has to be a certified engineer with heaps of insurance, look at the accident in Weymouth and that mega-yacht which fell off a ship, both apparently cradle failures - the law suit if a boat fell on a passer by doesn't bear thinking about.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Gosport : Boat Soon to be Gosport
    Posts
    1,620

    Default Re: Where have all the cradles gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    And Health & Safety issues have people worried about ' just welding up ' a common sense design, now one has to be a certified engineer with heaps of insurance, look at the accident in Weymouth and that mega-yacht which fell off a ship, both apparently cradle failures - the law suit if a boat fell on a passer by doesn't bear thinking about.
    Weymouth was caused by removing one of the props. Not cradle design. According to the inquest.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: Where have all the cradles gone?

    I was keeping a vague eye out last year and there seemed to be new ones coming up for sale every few weeks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Deale, MD, USA
    Posts
    1,682

    Default Re: Where have all the cradles gone?

    What about jackstands? They are the more common approach here.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sussex / Hants
    Posts
    28,414

    Default Re: Where have all the cradles gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by sailor211 View Post
    Weymouth was caused by removing one of the props. Not cradle design. According to the inquest.
    It still makes people wary of issuing cradle designs and instructions...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,397

    Default Re: Where have all the cradles gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by sailor211 View Post
    Weymouth was caused by removing one of the props. Not cradle design. According to the inquest.
    There was another issue - not pursued by the coroner. That particular 'cradle' was a DIY product, made up about 20 years earlier, and there was evidence it had considerable corrosion..... The structure certainly was not nearly as strong as when new.

    That might be a cue to owners of existing cradles - to inspect critically each year, 'do an MOT'. They don't last forever, especially in an exposed location with salt-laden winter winds. If there's rust, dig and scrape and fix it. Don't just accept it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sussex / Hants
    Posts
    28,414

    Default Re: Where have all the cradles gone?

    Good Point;

    sadly time flies past , the trestles / cradle we built ' yesterday ' are suddenly thirty years old, and uninsured...

    The sad fact is there are a lot less handy engineer types to make these sort of things nowadays.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: Where have all the cradles gone?

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Good Point;

    sadly time flies past , the trestles / cradle we built ' yesterday ' are suddenly thirty years old, and uninsured...

    The sad fact is there are a lot less handy engineer types to make these sort of things nowadays.
    Absolutely true. The F.E.College where I did a “night school” class in welding many years ago is to close in 6 weeks time. Few people are taught metal working skills these days.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to