Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cooling Water Strainer

I've bought a Vetus raw water strainer, the type made of plastic that sits between the inlet seacock and the engine. The chandlers said it should be fitted at or below the waterline and were quite adamant about this. Surely this is duff advice? I think it should be fitted above the waterline and primed before use, thereafter ensuring it has a head of water in it. If it's below water level then it must present a real danger to filling the boat with water if it fails in any way. The boat didn't have one fitted previously so I have nothing to refer back to.

What do y'all think?
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Default Re: Cooling Water Strainer

Mine is definitely above the water line, but following the last two launches it has needed priming - although that does seem to be a feature of the engine rather than the set up.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...ing&highlight=

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Vetus advise that it should be installed 15 cm above the waterline. Search water strainer on their website, you can download the manual.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Mine's bronze and I'm not worried about it failing, but I mounted it as high as I could in the engine compartment, above the waterline, so that I can take the lid off to clear the basket without necessarily having to close the seacock.

(I generally do close it, but at least I won't get a fountain if I forget one day.)

My raw-water pump is quite capable of pulling the air-bubble through as soon as the engine is started after opening the strainer, so I don't need to do anything in particular to prime it.

Pete

yes mine is above the waterline, it can then be inspected and cleaned without closing the seacock.
    Andrew

My Vetus strainer is above the waterline and the water pump sees to be able to cope with this.
    My biggest problem is despite only tightening the top down gently trying to get it open again is a real swine.
    I’ve tried a smear of silicon grease on the threads but still it seems to jam solid.

Thanks all, you've confirmed my thoughts. I knew I was right, but the chap at the chandlers was so adamant it sowed a seed of doubt in my mind!
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    My Vetus strainer is above the waterline and the water pump sees to be able to cope with this.
    My biggest problem is despite only tightening the top down gently trying to get it open again is a real swine.
    I’ve tried a smear of silicon grease on the threads but still it seems to jam solid.
    I have the older non see-through type which is essentially the same. I often have no end of trouble unscrewing it when some macho mechanic has had a go at it. It doesn't need to be screwed very tight at all since that main seal is from the flap inside. Another catch, which may be the same on more modern ones is that the filter seats itself into two grooves down the side. If it is not properly located, the filter distorts and possibly doesn't make such a good seal. If properly installed, my only difficulty is lifting out the flap which only has a small lug to grip and pull against the vacuum, not easy with wet hands.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Mine's bronze and I'm not worried about it failing, but I mounted it as high as I could in the engine compartment, above the waterline, so that I can take the lid off to clear the basket without necessarily having to close the seacock.

(I generally do close it, but at least I won't get a fountain if I forget one day.)

My raw-water pump is quite capable of pulling the air-bubble through as soon as the engine is started after opening the strainer, so I don't need to do anything in particular to prime it.

Pete
    Ditto.

Yes above waterline and works no problem. Getting top unscrewed as others noted can be challenging and mine is very easy access. I made a handle out of 10mm plywood that fits down over the cross on top, much easier to unscrew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast