Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64
  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    53,627

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    In fairness, Rome still ain't so African, after all.
    :
    Rome is at the border!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    So after thread drift back to OP's need. A summary of my T40 works in 2016:
    - Removed garage floor.
    - Removal of Genset sound shield and electrics
    - Made a frame over genset to lift insitu and slide base out from underneath (totally rusted with holes in!)
    - Fabricated new stainless base coping old design
    - Clean up sound shield and paint with smooth hammerite inc brackets
    - Rebuilt Genset
    The photos are nothing special.
    In all well worth the effort and much cheaper than new Onan parts.
    Servicing and getting running well required all rubber pipes changing as minute airleaks messed fuel delivery up.

    Hope this helps
    Simon

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- Western Med
    Posts
    5,009

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    @mikeF + MapisM. I think we need a up to date geography lesson.
    MAN marine is based in Nuremberg and current Itama are built in Forlì , which is further N than Antibes .
    Just to clear the fake news .
    Ferretti also build Pershing and always have @ Forli , they slip the odd Itama in as and when a punter bites in the line to wake up the workforce
    Last edited by Portofino; 12-06-19 at 23:07.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- Western Med
    Posts
    5,009

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
    So after thread drift back to OP's need. A summary of my T40 works in 2016:
    - Removed garage floor.
    - Removal of Genset sound shield and electrics
    - Made a frame over genset to lift insitu and slide base out from underneath (totally rusted with holes in!)
    - Fabricated new stainless base coping old design
    - Clean up sound shield and paint with smooth hammerite inc brackets
    - Rebuilt Genset
    The photos are nothing special.
    In all well worth the effort and much cheaper than new Onan parts.
    Servicing and getting running well required all rubber pipes changing as minute airleaks messed fuel delivery up.

    Hope this helps
    Simon
    Why has it rusted in the first place ?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17,293

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    @mikeF + MapisM. I think we need a up to date geography lesson.
    MAN marine is based in Nuremberg and current Itama are built in Forlì , which is further N than Antibes .
    Just to clear the fake news .
    I'm shocked by your view that Itama=Rome (=Tiber river, to be more precise) is fake news, PF.
    Do you want to make Mario spin in his grave?!?
    Where Ferretti is now producing some similar boats, sticking an Itama label on them, has very little to see with his heritage.

    Oh, and when I mentioned the Friedrichshafen HQs, we were talking of ZF, not MAN.
    Last edited by MapisM; 12-06-19 at 23:23.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- Western Med
    Posts
    5,009

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    I'm shocked by your view that Itama=Rome (=Tiber river, to be more precise) is fake news, PF.
    Do you want to make Mario spin in his grave?!?
    Where Ferretti is now producing some similar boats, sticking an Itama label on them, has very little to see with his heritage.

    Oh, and when I mentioned the Friedrichshafen HQs, we were talking of ZF, not MAN.
    “ Current” is now = Forli
    Amarti boats pre 2005 sure river Tiber Roma , buts was a while ago now .
    Incidentally the old site is the home of XL yachts and they are majoring on Amati refurbs .
    So there’s a sort of fractionation of the mkt .
    A newer Ferretti , vac bagged jobbie built in Forli or a older “ Amarti “ refurbed in Rome .
    One of them is doing well , no prizes for guessing

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,773

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Going back to jcwads original question we removed the engines from our Fairline Targa 35 several years ago for a bit of a spruce up.

    I posted at the time and it can be found on the link below - thankfully the pics have re-appeared after the photo bucket issue.

    OCD or preventative maintenance? You decide

    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...ics&highlight=
    Last edited by Greg2; 13-06-19 at 12:56.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- Western Med
    Posts
    5,009

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Going back to jcwads original question we removed the engines from our Fairline Targa 35 several years ago for a bit of a spruce up.

    I posted at the time and it can be found on the link below - thankfully the pics have re-appeared after the photo bucket issue. OCD or preventative maintenance? You decide


    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...ics&highlight=
    Pic,s ( photo buckets retraction of policy ) do indeed paint 1000 ,s of words .

    Did you do anything to prevent future “ black belt disease “ ?

    When I had a KAD 300 boat I took my pulleys off where I could and rubbed the rust off and used waxoil .I also waxoiled the alternator carefully which I think extended its life .Particularly the rear end where the terminals are , as eventually they rusted from water splashes ( taking out the strainer ) risking continuity failures.
    Keeping the sides of the pulleys smooth and rust free cured the “ black belt disease “ .
    There’s plenty of natural friction with the V shape and belt side walls and correct tensioners without having to rely on rust to get a grip and abrade the sides of the belts .
    Before I did this one snapped @ sea , a rolley sea to be in the ER .
    In a Sod’s law way it was the inner of three so I had to remove two good ones to access it .Arrgh ! After the pulley clean up I never got another snapped belt .

    I never liked the way VP painted the black pipes as it eventually cracked and made a mess as well as looking poor .
    Also with the KAD300 there was no rocker box gasket so after a valve job the seal was just a load of un aesthetically pleasing gob , which weeped oil , not a lot but mess creating all the same .

    So yes over the years there becomes a tipping point cosmetically with these set ups corrosion wise and belt dust to bite the bullet.
    Last edited by Portofino; 13-06-19 at 06:50.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Why has it rusted in the first place ?
    Good point. Presume it was bad maintenance in first place. Boat had few owners and probably never high on their list. I knew on purchase the frame was rusted but it still worked so wasnt overly concerned. All maintained well now though!

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17,293

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    I posted at the time and it can be found on the link below
    Wow! I missed your thread, back in those days.
    Not sure if congratulations made 10+ years after still count, but better late than never, I guess!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to