Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gen out, Engines out?

Unfortunately my Genny has had a salt water leak that I didnt notice since having the boat. The genny was very rusty inside and this seems to be the culprit. The guys at Vasey Marine have been great, the leak was the exhaust hose in the genset. A short term fix on the rest of the unit will be done, but the long term solution to sort out the genny properly is removal. I will get this done in the winter and have it stripped back and sorted before the floor corrodes through.

My thoughts are that if I am keeping the boat for a few more years, do I do a JTB style overhaul and get the engines out too. Some of the mounts are rusty and its likely there are bits that need replacing. The boat is now 14 years old, so I would like to avoid anything major going wrong in the next 4 years..

OCD or problem prevention?

Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

My engines bear the scars of a few water leaks so I'd love to have them out for a repaint and condition check.

If your boat is a keeper and you can afford it then it's definitely a good idea to have them out, check all the ancillaries, detail the engine bay and check anything else that would be difficult to access with the engine in situ. Perhaps fit some Lumishores whilst you're at it?

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    OCD or problem prevention?
    OCD, imho.
    There's nothing on this planet for which the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is more appropriate than with boats.

Mind, I understand petem logic, and I also indulged to follow it in several occasions in the past (albeit never to the point of pulling the engines).
    But in most cases, in hindsight I must say that it was neither worth the cost nor the effort.

Any pics , and which engines and geny brands and hrs are they ?

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Any pics , and which engines and geny brands and hrs are they ?
    Genny is an Onan 7kw. It def needs removal as the pan is very badly rusted.

Engines are D6 350’s with 700 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    OCD, imho.
    There's nothing on this planet for which the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is more appropriate than with boats.

Mind, I understand petem logic, and I also indulged to follow it in several occasions in the past (albeit never to the point of pulling the engines).
    But in most cases, in hindsight I must say that it was neither worth the cost nor the effort.
    There is that angle of course and that's partly why I haven't had mine out!

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    There is that angle of course and that's partly why I haven't had mine out!
    Some things are best kept tucked away.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    OCD, imho.
    I tend to agree. Removing the engines and putting them back in is almost bound to cause unforeseen problems with other ancillary equipment. I'm all for preventative maintenance on engines too but leave the them in position until you have no option but to take them out for major reconditioning. I think I'd rather cut a hole in the deck to get another component out rather than lift an engine

If going ahead make sure you use someone good. Nothing worse than ripping it all out only to find a whole load more problems on reassembly. (My experience with vans & trucks tells me this)

My former s65 has generator issues.

In the end it was fixed in situ but replacement was discussed. The factory suggested way was to dismantle the old , take it out, dismantle the new and put it in.

The degree of each will be limited of course by access.

If just the case find a way to replace in situ, and if not get a new base fabricated ( 2 halves?) that will go in ok. Removal of all will be time and hassle I suspect you will regret

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast