Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Gen out, Engines out?

Unfortunately my Genny has had a salt water leak that I didnt notice since having the boat. The genny was very rusty inside and this seems to be the culprit. The guys at Vasey Marine have been great, the leak was the exhaust hose in the genset. A short term fix on the rest of the unit will be done, but the long term solution to sort out the genny properly is removal. I will get this done in the winter and have it stripped back and sorted before the floor corrodes through.

My thoughts are that if I am keeping the boat for a few more years, do I do a JTB style overhaul and get the engines out too. Some of the mounts are rusty and its likely there are bits that need replacing. The boat is now 14 years old, so I would like to avoid anything major going wrong in the next 4 years..

OCD or problem prevention?

Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

My engines bear the scars of a few water leaks so I'd love to have them out for a repaint and condition check.

If your boat is a keeper and you can afford it then it's definitely a good idea to have them out, check all the ancillaries, detail the engine bay and check anything else that would be difficult to access with the engine in situ. Perhaps fit some Lumishores whilst you're at it?

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    OCD, imho.
    There's nothing on this planet for which the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is more appropriate than with boats.

Mind, I understand petem logic, and I also indulged to follow it in several occasions in the past (albeit never to the point of pulling the engines).
    But in most cases, in hindsight I must say that it was neither worth the cost nor the effort.

Any pics , and which engines and geny brands and hrs are they ?

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Any pics , and which engines and geny brands and hrs are they ?
    Genny is an Onan 7kw. It def needs removal as the pan is very badly rusted.

Engines are D6 350’s with 700 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    Unfortunately my Genny has had a salt water leak that I didnt notice since having the boat. The genny was very rusty inside and this seems to be the culprit. The guys at Vasey Marine have been great, the leak was the exhaust hose in the genset. A short term fix on the rest of the unit will be done, but the long term solution to sort out the genny properly is removal. I will get this done in the winter and have it stripped back and sorted before the floor corrodes through.

My thoughts are that if I am keeping the boat for a few more years, do I do a JTB style overhaul and get the engines out too. Some of the mounts are rusty and its likely there are bits that need replacing. The boat is now 14 years old, so I would like to avoid anything major going wrong in the next 4 years..

Fix the genset insitu. I did this on my T40. Had some people jack it up and remove the casing and make a new one. More than half price of Onan one. I then had all bits serviced.
    Got some pics somewhere.
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
    Fix the genset insitu. I did this on my T40. Had some people jack it up and remove the casing and make a new one. More than half price of Onan one. I then had all bits serviced.
    Got some pics somewhere.
    Simon
    Interesting. How did they jack it up? Did you remove the tender garage floor for this? Are you able to confirm who did the works?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    OCD, imho.
    There's nothing on this planet for which the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is more appropriate than with boats.

Mind, I understand petem logic, and I also indulged to follow it in several occasions in the past (albeit never to the point of pulling the engines).
    But in most cases, in hindsight I must say that it was neither worth the cost nor the effort.
    There is that angle of course and that's partly why I haven't had mine out!

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    There is that angle of course and that's partly why I haven't had mine out!
    Some things are best kept tucked away.

You may have seen my post ....

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...autionary-tale

I had an immediate problem that needed to be resolved on the port engine, but had the starboard lifted and sorted at the same time, purely as the Volvo guys had all personnel and equipment on site for one engine, and it would be less than twice as much to do both.. Btw, that story had a relatively soft(er) landing, but I won’t go into details on a public forum.

Personally l am a prevention is better than cure person, and if you do your man maths you divide the cost by the 4 years of trouble free boating ahead of you to reduce the bill on a per annum basis....

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast