Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64
  1. #51
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,330

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Going back to jcwads original question we removed the engines from our Fairline Targa 35 several years ago for a bit of a spruce up.

    I posted at the time and it can be found on the link below - thankfully the pics have re-appeared after the photo bucket issue. OCD or preventative maintenance? You decide


    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...ics&highlight=
    Greg, ten years on, are you glad you did the work?

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,810

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Pic,s ( photo buckets retraction of policy ) do indeed paint 1000 ,s of words .

    Did you do anything to prevent future “ black belt disease “ ?
    We spent a long time removing all the corrosion and tried to keep on top of it subsequently. Things were certainly better.

    Got the same issue with our current KAD32s in the S34 - shredded an alternator belt a couple of weeks ago. Not thinking of removing the engines this time round though!

    Interesting to hear about your regime with the KAD300s - I will bear it in mind when sorting ours.


    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Wow! I missed your thread, back in those days.
    Not sure if congratulations made 10+ years after still count, but better late than never, I guess!
    Never too late thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Greg, ten years on, are you glad you did the work?
    Well, we sold her afer about three years!! But yes, even with that short-ish period of continued ownerhsip I am still glad we did it.
    It improved my boating experience becasue the engine bay was a treat and when we came to sell it helped maintain a reasonable price - as ever we lost money overall but it was also the experience of doing it that helped with overall satisfaction.

    To be honest we always seek to improve our boats for our own enjoyment. Spent a bit on the Targa but did the Broom 41 on a budget - it was in great conditon overall but we improved the dash and electronics by buying used kit instead of the latest generation.

    Cant say the same about our S34 - new bespoke moulded carbon fibre dash, complete refresh of electronics with new Raymarine gear, new cockpit upholstery and new canopy! Decided to do it all up front so we can enjoy for the whole pepriod of our ownership as opposed to doing it in dribs and drabs and then a new owner getting much of the benefit. Man maths struggling but the boat is now the 'dogs doo dahs' and we love it so money well spent I reckon!
    Last edited by Greg2; 13-06-19 at 13:16.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    West Berkshire (boat Hamble)
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
    Good point. Presume it was bad maintenance in first place. Boat had few owners and probably never high on their list. I knew on purchase the frame was rusted but it still worked so wasnt overly concerned. All maintained well now though!
    Thanks for the info, very helpful. Do PM me contact details as that could be an option.

    I think engines out at this stage will be dependent on whether I take the boat to the med next season. But at least there is an option to remove the genny pan in situ...

    Thanks for all comments and suggestions.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,330

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Incidentally, when I mentioned using a Dremmel to Col he was most dismissive and suggested that the pros use what I think was a "Needle Gun" (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANfm0K16MZs).

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17,491

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I quite fancy hinging my cockpit floor.. a good winter project. I might grab some tips off you sometime!
    Hiya, M!
    Sorry if I didn't follow up your post before, because I hoped to find in my files a few pics of a F165 which was for sale in the US a few years ago and had that modification done, with hinges on the aft side of the floor and actuators underneath, to lift the whole cockpit at the push of a button. Very convenient indeed! But I'm afraid I must have deleted those pics after I was done with my boat search, and I've not been able to find them again on the web by googling around now, either. All I managed to find, which more than likely is the very same boat that I had in mind, is this webpage on a US broker website, but unfortunately the pic links are now broken.
    Anyway, if you check out that webpage, you will find "Electric Power Lift Cockpit Floor" mentioned in the text.

    So, it definitely can be done, though I believe it would take quite a bit more more than just unscrewing the floor and fit some hinges.
    In fact, as you surely know, the cockpit floor has two extensions on its aft section that go around the bench sides, which would restrict the lifting, if hinged right in front of the cockpit bench.
    IIRC, those bits were cut and left fixed in that modified boat, in order to have all the aft floor border straight, hence hinge-able.

    I'm happy to post pics of my cockpit, if you think that can give you some inspiration.
    But that's not a job I made: it used to be factory standard in all DPs.
    And it's actually not designed for ordinary usage (no electric actuators, all borders sealed).
    Mind, not that I can't see the appeal of a quick and easy lift, of course.
    That's something demanding a kosher job though, to avoid the risk of water ingress in the e/r right above the engines, whenever you get rain with some wind, or while rinsing the cockpit....
    Last edited by MapisM; 13-06-19 at 14:08.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    54,699

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Hiya, M!
    Sorry if I didn't follow up your post before, because I hoped to find in my files a few pics of a F165 which was for sale in the US a few years ago and had that modification done, with hinges on the aft side of the floor and actuators underneath, to lift the whole cockpit at the push of a button.
    Good grief! I can only imagine that the owner experienced so many engine problems with the boat that he felt it necessary to fit that

  7. #57
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,330

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Good grief! I can only imagine that the owner experienced so many engine problems with the boat that he felt it necessary to fit that
    Oi, my cockpit floor lifts up on a hydraulic ram!

    I'm pretty sure it's big enough to hoik the engines out too.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    54,699

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Oi, my cockpit floor lifts up on a hydraulic ram!

    I'm pretty sure it's big enough to hoik the engines out too.
    Yes but I assume thats because its difficult to get to some areas of the engine room for regular checks. On a boat of the size of the F165 you should be able to walk around the whole engine room and the lifting cockpit floor is only in the hopefully unlikely event an engine has to be lifted

  9. #59
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Bucks & St Raphael SoF
    Posts
    1,461

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Yes but I assume thats because its difficult to get to some areas of the engine room for regular checks. On a boat of the size of the F165 you should be able to walk around the whole engine room and the lifting cockpit floor is only in the hopefully unlikely event an engine has to be lifted
    True, access around the engines is absolutely fine, but headroom isn't great above the engines, so lifting the whole floor could be quite convenient, but certainly not imperative if it was a pain to achieve because, as you say, the whole floor lifts out anyway

    9 year old for scale...


  10. #60
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    54,699

    Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    True, access around the engines is absolutely fine, but headroom isn't great above the engines, so lifting the whole floor could be quite convenient, but certainly not imperative if it was a pain to achieve because, as you say, the whole floor lifts out anyway
    My engine room has a broadly similar layout. Not surprising really. One of the differences though is that on my boat the panels on which your lad is standing have been dropped a few inches as far down into the bilges as possible such that I can stand between the engines at 6' 1" tall. I cant stand anywhere else in the engine room but being able to stand in the middle and carry out daily checks is a big plus (for my back). Could the panels in your engine bay be dropped at all to give you standing headroom?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to