Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Gen out, Engines out?

pm me

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    Interesting. How did they jack it up? Did you remove the tender garage floor for this? Are you able to confirm who did the works?
    pm me

Probably a good idea to replace the fuel tanks as they are prone to salt water corrosion via engine bay vents

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    Unfortunately my Genny has had a salt water leak that I didnt notice since having the boat. The genny was very rusty inside and this seems to be the culprit. The guys at Vasey Marine have been great, the leak was the exhaust hose in the genset. A short term fix on the rest of the unit will be done, but the long term solution to sort out the genny properly is removal. I will get this done in the winter and have it stripped back and sorted before the floor corrodes through.

My thoughts are that if I am keeping the boat for a few more years, do I do a JTB style overhaul and get the engines out too. Some of the mounts are rusty and its likely there are bits that need replacing. The boat is now 14 years old, so I would like to avoid anything major going wrong in the next 4 years..

OCD or problem prevention?
    Is the generator in the oe position ie centreline, give or take, in front of the engines? If so you should be able to get it out without removing the engines - you'll need to lift the boat, then completely remove the garage floor, then you should be able to reach in far enough with a telehandler or something like that to lift the generator out and over the engines. Will require some clever work with straps to steer it out through the gap but it should be doable. I did all of this in reverse to install an Onan 4kw in mine, with the engines in situ.

Removing the engines is fairly non-trivial. I'd only do this if you have a specific problem to solve (in my case it was legacy corrosion from leaking early-style raw water filter caps). I wouldn't do it for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
    pm me
    Oi S it would be better if you could share your pics and knowledge on the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    Oi S it would be better if you could share your pics and knowledge on the forum...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    will do - it was more the email address of the person who did my repairs I didn't want to post
    Just got some "daytime work to complete" at present
    s

Quote Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
    will do - it was more the email address of the person who did my repairs I didn't want to post
    Just got some "daytime work to complete" at present
    s

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    OCD, imho.
    There's nothing on this planet for which the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is more appropriate than with boats.
    I tend to agree. Removing the engines and putting them back in is almost bound to cause unforeseen problems with other ancillary equipment. I'm all for preventative maintenance on engines too but leave the them in position until you have no option but to take them out for major reconditioning. I think I'd rather cut a hole in the deck to get another component out rather than lift an engine

If going ahead make sure you use someone good. Nothing worse than ripping it all out only to find a whole load more problems on reassembly. (My experience with vans & trucks tells me this)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast