Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New sprayhood using old one as pattern.

I had one made by Sabre Sails. Including postage from and to Australia the cost was less than 2/3 of the lowest local quote. The quality and fit was excellent and it didn't take much longer than it would have been here. Makes you wonder...

They can shrink if like me you have put them through the washer.Its not the acrylic but the webbing used around the edges.
    In my case it's a couple of zip out side panels on my fixed deck house.
    As for replacing clear panels.
    I only just managed to refit them three months ago when I was last at the boat.

Try

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/

Excellent range and prices, just made copy S Hood for 150 quid.

Just fitted new sprayhood from Sabre Sails - absolutely spot on. Delighted no connection

Thanks . That's 4 recommendations for Sabre Sails, so far.

I have just patched up my existing sprayhood and I expect to get another year out of it, then I'll get a new one from Sabre.
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Why would you not use a French cover maker? Is it price or quality or some other reason. Interested to know. My boat was fitted with all canvas work in France 11 years ago and they're still going strong.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

If the boat is used in hot countries be very careful of shrinkage. I have replaced two sprayhoods and a cockpit winter cover in Greece, all because they shrunk so much they would no longer fit the boat. We now have Weathermax WM80 that is supposedly more UV resistant, with Tenara stitching. Only had this two seasons but looking good so far.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Why would you not use a French cover maker? Is it price or quality or some other reason. Interested to know. My boat was fitted with all canvas work in France 11 years ago and they're still going strong.
    Good question.

The first reason is that the price offered by the UK makers is very attractive, presumably because they won't have to visit the boat.

The second reason is that if there is anything wrong with it or the service provided by a UK cover maker, and he won't put it right, I have rights of redress under English consumer law. I probably have similar rights under French law but enforcing them could be considerably more difficult.

However, if your good experience was with a firm in South Brittany, I would be grateful if you would let me have contact details, as I may reconsider.
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Good question.

The first reason is that the price offered by the UK makers is very attractive, presumably because they won't have to visit the boat.

The second reason is that if there is anything wrong with it or the service provided by a UK cover maker, and he won't put it right, I have rights of redress under English consumer law. I probably have similar rights under French law but enforcing them could be considerably more difficult.

However, if your good experience was with a firm in South Brittany, I would be grateful if you would let me have contact details, as I may reconsider.
    No contacts as mine was done 11 years ago in La Rochelle. I was curious that was all. In my experience the french are pretty good at these things.

When I needed to replace the spray hood on my westerly ocean 43 I went on the ´net´ and found out who were the original suppliers back in the day to Westerly for that model- Contacted the company and they still had the specs and sent me an exact replica of the original... Excellent fit of course and no issues..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12