Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Propeller antifouling

Any recommendations for doing this job. Ideally cheap and easy to do, but owing a yacht for a few years its not going to be cheap or easy to do. Prop condition is average for a approx 20 year old prop. Has been cleaned, grinder and paint removal disc then sanded with 120g wet and dry. So not polished but clean and shiny.

Default Re: Propeller antifouling

On a sailing yacht I use same AF as hull - 2 coats good quality ablative AF (Micron or Seajet 33 personal choices) over a zinc-rich primer on top of roughly sanded bronze, much as you describe. Lasts a long summer with minimal drop in thrust.

On a planing powerboat nothing but highly polished bronze, and get used to keeping it clean. Too much reduction in efficiency if the slightest fouling or roughness.

I use Dr Barnacle's Grease. It seems to work as well as antifoulings; I put it on twice a year. Not that cheap at 40 for a pot, but it does go a long way solast for ages.

Try a search of previous threads, copious information - then come back with specific questions.

Jonathan

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

As Jonathan says there have been many threads on the subject. Many products seem to be location specific, so not easy to give a definitive answer.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Any recommendations for doing this job. Ideally cheap and easy to do, but owing a yacht for a few years it’s not going to be cheap or easy to do. Prop condition is average for a approx 20 year old prop. Has been cleaned, grinder and paint removal disc then sanded with 120g wet and dry. So not polished but clean and shiny.
    I used Hammerite special metals primer which sticks well to propeller.
    Leisure Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    As Jonathan says there have been many threads on the subject. Many products seem to be location specific, so not easy to give a definitive answer.
    Not only location specific but also the type of use. When we went to the Baltic and spent time in the Netherlands a lanolin product was sufficient. Someone who can easily dry out and give it a scrub will also be less concerned. Currently I am trying Silic-one which I am reliably told in another thread is complete rubbish, but we shall see.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by peteK View Post
    I used Hammerite special metals primer which sticks well to propeller.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by richardbrennan View Post
    I use Dr Barnacle's Grease. It seems to work as well as antifoulings; I put it on twice a year. Not that cheap at 40 for a pot, but it does go a long way solast for ages.
    Hi Richard, where do you buy it from?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Were in Portsmouth harbour. We applied a couple of coats of special metals primer followed by Velox Plus last June are were impressed when we were lifted out a May 2019.

When we were lifted out most of the Velox had gone but the Hammerite remained. 3 thin coats of Velox went on a a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed for the summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast