Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Have you used this type of tools?

The lower tool looks like an interesting variation on the great ‘Molegrips’ which if I remember corectly were invented and originally manufactured in Newport South Wales, the old factory can still be seen by the M4 Brynglas tunnel entrance.

The top pliers are IMHO the work of the devil. They are fine for when you need a large opening but when you are tempted as always happens to try to grip something smaller the ratchet arrangement slips. unless those are far better than my pair. ol'will

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    The top pliers are IMHO the work of the devil. They are fine for when you need a large opening but when you are tempted as always happens to try to grip something smaller the ratchet arrangement slips. unless those are far better than my pair. ol'will
    I agree with that. I think our type are very primitive compared to the one pictured

Quote Originally Posted by coopec View Post
    I agree with that. I think our type are very primitive compared to the one pictured
    I thought that William was saying the opposite?

Richard

The top ones look clever but surely the whole point of normal waterpump pliers is that they allow a pretty-much-parallel grip across a wide range of nut sizes?

I can't work out how the mole-grip lever on the bottom ones tightens the spanner? They would have to be well built given how much force you could put through the sliding jaw.

The first one I've had the same pair of for about 30 years, and it's biggest use has been for opening bottles Prosecco for the other half, horrible stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    I had not paid enough attention to the picture, but having taken a second look, I would agree with you. The equivalent tool that I own has a series of concentric semi-circular rings cast around the pivot on one arm of the pliers and a single matching ring on the other. Opening the jaws wide allows the pivot bolt to move in a groove and then when you close the jaws again the rings interlock at a given opening of the jaws. The result is a pretty solid grip - there is no ratchet to slip - it will not fail unless you apply sufficient force to break the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    If you look closely, you'll see that the jaws stay parallel.
    Yes, IMO they are not as useful. I have this type, very useful, they grip a pipe or nut much better.

15152224-adjustable-plumbing-pipe-wrench-on-white-background.jpg
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

The top pair are the Knipex pliers wrench and great for what they are designed for. Very useful for cable glands and also for use on chrome nuts/fittings to minimise marking (no serrations on the jaw). The jaws however do close parallel so may be useful in some situations. I find their more standard 'Cobra' water pump pliers to be useful in more situations.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Thank you all

I think I ll give a try to the top one, indeed Knipex are very good tools, I have their Seeger ring pliers for the big models 8-10cm (bought them for the roller furler servicing) and they are very well made.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast