Default Lewmar Chain Counter Sensor & Magnet Kit Compatibility

Gents, does anyone know if other brands of chain/rode counter sensors and magnets will work with Lewmar? My chain counter is 2007 (part #68000600) isn't counting so I ordered a new kit from Lewmar. The problem is that the kit didn't come with the plastic sleeve that the sensor or reed switch slides into. I destroyed that sleeve and need another one and those can't be located anywhere. I may return this to Lewmar but have a question.

So, one of my options is to find another vendors sensor and magnet kit (like Quick USA for example) that comes with the plastic sleeve (http://www.quickusastore.com/accesso...ensor-kit.html). Do you know if these sensors kits are universal or will work with Lewmar? Lewmar cannot give me a definitive answer but I would think a simple reed switch and magnet should work.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Lewmar Chain Counter Sensor & Magnet Kit Compatibility

I replaced my Lewmar sensor with a reed switch from Maplins. (@ £1 ) They come in a variety of shapes and sizes already in plastic tubes etc. There was a magnet in the gypsy wheel already.
    I had to drill out the old sensor switch and glued the new one in with araldite.

I think that your counter may not actually be made by Lewmar but by-
    MZ Electronic Srl
    Via Bainsizza 2
    20900 Monza MB
    http://www.mzelectronic.it
    You could try contacting them re spares.

Thanks for replying. So, using another vendors reed switch seem to work for you? I assume you have a Lewmar chain counter?

I have since sold the boat, but yes I had a lewmar windlass on a sealine T50. Down load the installation manual I think it shows the circuit diagram etc.

Yes the reed just closes on each pass creating a pulse and the counter counts them. Using the settings in the counter it knows the 3 rotations are 1.1m or whatever.