Default What might this be?

The hatch garage on our Moody S31 extends forward in front of the sprayhood to form a dorade with a cowl on each side. Centred between them (over the air inlet below) is a flat white plastic dome, 75mm dia, 20mm. high, about the size and shape of a fried egg. It is secured by three tiny studs with nuts that are almost impossible to reach, a single fine (2.5mm. approx dia,) insulated cable emerges from the bottom centre and disappears into the void between the grp head lining and the coachroof. It is not a standard fitmment other S31s do not have it. It is leaking rain water into this space and proving difficult to seal. I suspect it may be redundant, related perhaps to the old garmin gps or perhaps the navtex. I expect that if I remove it to seal against rain water ingress the cable may break so I am hoping someone may be able to suggest what its function might be before I start trying to release it.

Default Re: What might this be?

Any chance of a photo!!! (I'm in a bit of a Quandary)
    Last edited by coopec; 12-06-19 at 09:18.

Sounds a bit weird. I had an S31 (great boat, by the way) and it had no such feature.
    It's not a GPS aerial, is it?
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Sounds like the top Navtex aerial to me or one of the older GPS aerials.
    Pardon?

It sounds like a perfectly ordinary GPS antenna, possibly incorporating the receiver and possibly not, depending on whether the cable is co-ax or multi-core.

Pete

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    It sounds like a perfectly ordinary GPS antenna, possibly incorporating the receiver and possibly not, depending on whether the cable is co-ax or multi-core.

Pete
    I think so too.

Was up this morning and failed to remove it but managed to get it up enough to get some CT1 under it which means it is now stuck down for good. The cable is tied in a bundle in the void under it before heading in the direction of the chart table. I had suspected GPS but the cable is very thin and flexible and is not co-axial, looks just like thin single core. There is a Navtex and an old Garmin Gps, both seem to be working though they are rarely used in these times when you get everything on the phone. Hopefully it is dealt with now, it has to stay regardless of function to cover the hole under it.
    Thanks for the guesses, my curiosity remains.

Tarbert Harbour, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Scotland, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Thanks for the guesses, my curiosity remains.
    Can you cover it with something which is likely to blank out a signal? Eg, metal bucket / sheet of lead ? and see what stops working.

Ash