Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weather aps

Default Re: Weather aps

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Property View Post
    For live wind rather than a forecast I use Ian Millard's "Windycator" site.

If it's blowing 20 knots off Portland bill I'd like to know about it...

http://weather.ianmillard.com/windyc...0.7000/-1.7000
    If you like that site you may like this one too https://weatherfile.com/

Not an app but a website I use frequently WWW.Netweather.tv many useful forecasts Mouth of the Thames, Harwich Channel etc . Consistently accurate and backed up by windy.

There are many apps and other services such as XyGrib that provide forecasts from “official” sources”. Those that you can use with some confidence are Windy (ECMWF, GFS, ICON-EU, AROME), Ventusky (GFS, ICON, ICON-EU, HRRR-USA) both on laptop or tablet. XyGrib (GFS, ICON, ARPEGE, ICON-EU, NAMS for US, Caribbean, Hawaii). On a tablet there are several apps giving GFS and other models; see http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-...rib-Files-Apps.

I would not bother with any detailed forecasts that are not from national weather services. The models are fine but they have no detailed weather input. Windguru, Windfinder, MeteoConsult, Predicteind among others. One problem that applies to all detailed forecasts including official ones is that small weather details have limited lifetimes. By the time you see the forecast, weather detail of size10 to 30 km will have disappeared.

One warning is that the available output may not be the most recent forecast. Generally you can tell from the T=0 times. Windy, Ventusky and XyGrib all let you see the date/time of origin. That is the most important information in any forecast whether written for the GMDSS or straight off a computer,

So, to paraphrase the above, use whichever officially based service you find easiest but do not think that any forecast is better than another.

PS. Regarding issue times, I forgot to say that ECMWF only produces forecasts twice daily and at least two hours later than other services. So you might be looking at ECMWF based on yesterday 1200 data, GFS based on today at 0000UTC, and ICON-EU based on today at 0300. On Ventusky and Windy (?) you can get 3 hourly updates of ICON-EU.
    Last edited by franksingleton; 15-06-19 at 07:25.

Quote Originally Posted by franksingleton View Post
    There are many apps and other services such as XyGrib that provide forecasts from “official” sources”. Those that you can use with some confidence are Windy (ECMWF, GFS, ICON-EU, AROME), Ventusky (GFS, ICON, ICON-EU, HRRR-USA) both on laptop or tablet. XyGrib (GFS, ICON, ARPEGE, ICON-EU, NAMS for US, Caribbean, Hawaii). On a tablet there are several apps giving GFS and other models; see http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-...rib-Files-Apps.

I would not bother with any detailed forecasts that are not from national weather services. The models are fine but they have no detailed weather input. Windguru, Windfinder, MeteoConsult, Predicteind among others. One problem that applies to all detailed forecasts including official ones is that small weather details have limited lifetimes. By the time you see the forecast, weather detail of size10 to 30 km will have disappeared.

One warning is that the available output may not be the most recent forecast. Generally you can tell from the T=0 times. Windy, Ventusky and XyGrib all let you see the date/time of origin. That is the most important information in any forecast whether written for the GMDSS or straight off a computer,

So, to paraphrase the above, use whichever officially based service you find easiest but do not think that any forecast is better than another.

PS. Regarding issue times, I forgot to say that ECMWF only produces forecasts twice daily and at least two hours later than other services. So you might be looking at ECMWF based on yesterday 1200 data, GFS based on today at 0000UTC, and ICON-EU based on today at 0300. On Ventusky and Windy (?) you can get 3 hourly updates of ICON-EU.
    Thanks for posting, Frank
    I nearly wrote a post to recommend that people visit your website but you have beaten me to it.

Over the years, I have relied heavily on the points from your website and I suggest that others take the time to read your very useful points.

So, I take the liberty of posting this link
    http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-Weather/Home

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Thanks for posting, Frank
    I nearly wrote a post to recommend that people visit your website but you have beaten me to it.

Over the years, I have relied heavily on the points from your website and I suggest that others take the time to read your very useful points.

So, I take the liberty of posting this link
    http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-Weather/Home

Thanks again.
    Thank you. I am never sure whether fotumites realise that they are really comparing presentations of forecasts rather than the forecasts per se. Probably they are but it is rarely clear. Forecasts have improved vastly over my time. It is all too easy to expect too much. One of my more pithy phrases is that weather is not precise. So, neither can be forecasts, which is why I deplore claims of accuracy by providers and users. It is easy to lose touch with reality as some providers do and make claims that are untenable. If, say, a F4-5 is forecast, then it is quite likely that you will see winds between F3 and F6. A couple of years ago we had forecasts from 3 centres and GRIBs all saying F4-5, possibly 6. One GMDSS forecast hinted at a F7. We had several hours of F9. South of Guernsey, from west of Roche’s Douvres to St Martins LH.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12