Default Erratically' zigzagging boat

Default Re: Erratically' zigzagging boat

There might be more to this than "normal for a sailing boat". Do you normally get ashore and strip off? If you do let us know and we can sell tickets.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

some years ago we were beating in towards Sovereign Harbour at night when I noticed some blue flashing lights and a light flashing morse U in our direction. I had been speaking to the lock keeper on VHF, so asked his advice. He said "it's just the Coastguard, ignore it"
    In the lock a coastguard asked if we were OK, because some one on shore had reported a yacht in distress as it had been zig-zagging.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    some years ago we were beating in towards Sovereign Harbour at night when I noticed some blue flashing lights and a light flashing morse U in our direction. I had been speaking to the lock keeper on VHF, so asked his advice. He said "it's just the Coastguard, ignore it"
    In the lock a coastguard asked if we were OK, because some one on shore had reported a yacht in distress as it had been zig-zagging.
    Similar happened to me when tacking up the Tyne on a friend's boat. Someone on the shore reported us in distress for zigzagging. Got a call from port control by radio to confirm that we were fine.

Some of those days when the wind is very shifty and the tide is against, the bystanders may not be so far wrong...

"Zigzagging" might be normal, but this sounds more like two belligerent (drunken?) idiots deliberately obstructing the channel.

Pete

Are there rules similar to the those in the Solent - "Keep out of the way of the big stuff in the channel"?
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Some of this may apply

DUBLIN PORT COMPANY SMALL CRAFT (LEISURE) REGULATIONS

The port area shall be divided into three areas for purposes of small craft.

Area 1- from Dublin Bay Buoy to Poolbeg Lighthouse – Small craft shall not navigate inside the fairway and should remain outside the line of buoys. If it is necessary to cross the fairway, crossing should be at right angles.

Area 2 – Poolbeg Lighthouse to No. 14 Buoy -All small craft should pass along the south side of the channel, remaining as far as is practicable to that side. If necessary to cross the channel crossing should be done at right angles to the channel and only after obtaining permission from VTS.

Area 3 – No. 14 Buoy to the west – All small craft should pass along the south side of the channel, remaining as far as is practicable to that side. Small Craft are prohibited from entering berths and basins within the Port.

General – All craft shall operate under power when within areas 2 and 3, but may additionally raise their sails outside the channel but not in the channel.1. No sailing in the channel, craft should only cross at right angles when it is safe to do so.2. Maintain a listening watch on channel VHF 12 and avoid unnecessary communication.

Keep a sharp lookout and keep clear of all shipping. Attention of all skippers is drawn to the Notice to Mariners published on dublinport.ie/information-centre/notice-to-mariners/.

Harbour Master
    Last edited by VicS; 13-06-19 at 09:57.