Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: The Waverley - the appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Rothesay is a mess. Tighnabruaich is hanging on by a thread supported by a "friends of.." For Brodick see Rothesay and the damage has been done to most "Steamer" piers up the west coast. I'm no fan of CALMAC/CMAC or any of their incarnations.

I know you will have watched their terrible berthing arrangements at Rothesay/Weymss Bay.

Donald
    You might find that residents and tourists and buisness that need the ferrries to run , to replace the Calmac fleet for a private firm one would expect a higher price to be paid and maybe not as good a service.
    With the 1000's of sailings each day and thefore millions over the years nothing to dramatic has really happended .

Back on Point ,The Waverly is been run by an organistion that does not understand modern trends in tourism and has been left behind, as clients want more for their well earned cash , If any one of my hotels were run like that Ship I would be out of a Job , Service and Furnshings and reliability are the corner stones of the Service Industry , lose any one lose your Buisness IMHO
    25 years Hospitality GM of Hotels from London to Perthshire (and now cutting down trees and managing Plantations who said you only live once)
    Flying birds have no master

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    You might find that residents and tourists and buisness that need the ferrries to run , to replace the Calmac fleet for a private firm one would expect a higher price to be paid and maybe not as good a service.
    With the 1000's of sailings each day and thefore millions over the years nothing to dramatic has really happended .

Back on Point ,The Waverly is been run by an organistion that does not understand modern trends in tourism and has been left behind, as clients want more for their well earned cash , If any one of my hotels were run like that Ship I would be out of a Job , Service and Furnshings and reliability are the corner stones of the Service Industry , lose any one lose your Buisness IMHO
    25 years Hospitality GM of Hotels from London to Perthshire (and now cutting down trees and managing Plantations who said you only live once)
    Sorry but CALMAC have ruined Clyde infrastructure for everyone else. They have built impossibly over technical pier structures and are incredibly overmanned. Let me know why you need crew accommodation on the Rothesay ferry. Let me know why there are five crew member - excluding shore staff on the Colintraive ferry. It is not a good set up for business, residents or tourists. All money well spent and yet they go back to Scottish Gov for more. And don't start me on their inability to get two ships delivered from Greenock to Ardossan. The Waverly has had 5 million passengers since it was bought for a pound. Where is the investment there? We get the ferries and infrastructure we deserve.

Donald

Rothesay is a mess. Tighnabruaich is hanging on by a thread supported by a "friends of.." For Brodick see Rothesay and the damage has been done to most "Steamer" piers up the west coast. I'm no fan of CALMAC/CMAC or any of their incarnations.

I know you will have watched their terrible berthing arrangements at Rothesay/Weymss Bay.
    The passenger ramp thing at Rothesay is an abomination, I agree, but at least the other berth is still there and continues to be maintained. The big problem on that route seems to me to be that the Argyle and Bute are nowhere near as manoeuvrable as the Saturn (and the Jupiter and the Juno), making berthing a far more protracted procedure. The current boats couldn't manage the former 45 minute peak time service whereas the Saturn could leave a pier every 30 minutes when she was in a hurry.

Tighnabruich Pier is owned by Argyll and Bute Council, by the way, and not CMAC. However, its problems show how little concern there is generally for the maritime heritage of the area. And maybe how little interest in teh sea, generally. When I used to go to Port Bannatyne as a child there were two boat hirers there, Arthur Robinson (green hut) and the one you didn't go to (red hut) each with a fleet of around twenty rowing dinghies. There was another similar operation in Rothesay, and a motor boat hire place. The Waverley and the Queen Mary II visited regularly and the Gay Queen's singing skipper sang his way up to Tighabruaich and back twice a day. Now there is only the Waverley, once or twice a week. Apart from her, Rothesay and Bute generally might as well be in Sherwood Forest for all there is for visitors to do with the sea.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

We are in the midst of a burgeoning cruise liner tourist frenzy and the Firth of Clyde has missed out monumentally. Piers could have been identified as strategic assets for the exploitation of tourism opportunities and be addressed at a national level. Instead we have eyesores and dereliction. Blaming Cal Mac misses the point, blame the local councils and Scottish Government for having a narrow minded view of water based tourism. As for the dearth of usable slipways, that's another one for another thread. It's all going down the plug hole, next up will be a call for The Crankies to have a summer season at Ayr Gaity to save the day.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    The Western Ferries service at the Cloch is pretty good, and it's interesting that it could viably compete with the subsidized Calmac service from Gourock to Dunoon. I use it from time to time (back ferry off Bute then over the hills) and the thing which really strikes me is how few people it takes to run that service compared with Wemyss Bay - Rothesay.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Let me know why you need crew accommodation on the Rothesay ferry.
    Because Rothesay is far more suitable than Wemyss Bay for overnight stabling, but they can't expect the crews all to live on Bute. Or at least, that's the argument. My old man worked on Clyde Steamers in the fifties and the Captain, Chief Engineer and Purser (him) all had accommodation on board.

I agree completely about the degree of overmanning on Calmac ferries. A wee bit less about piers, since ro-ro was an inevitable development and I can remember how long it took to get on and off the ABC ferries at Wemyss Bay and Rothesay when they used a ramp and a lift.

Is there any reason why the Waverley could not be based down south ?

On the Thames for instance ?

Probably more chance to secure it's future.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    Is there any reason why the Waverley could not be based down south ?

On the Thames for instance ?

Probably more chance to secure it's future.
    It was based down here (Thames/Medway. ).
    But as the novelty wore of, passenger numbers dropped and with it income.
    Boat then moved on to the Dart.
    Last edited by oldgit; 17-06-19 at 08:06.

Sorry but CALMAC have ruined Clyde infrastructure for everyone else. They have built impossibly over technical pier structures and are incredibly overmanned. Let me know why you need crew accommodation on the Rothesay ferry. Let me know why there are five crew member - excluding shore staff on the Colintraive ferry. It is not a good set up for business, residents or tourists. All money well spent and yet they go back to Scottish Gov for more. And don't start me on their inability to get two ships delivered from Greenock to Ardossan. The Waverly has had 5 million passengers since it was bought for a pound. Where is the investment there? We get the ferries and infrastructure we deserve.

Donald
    They need 5 crew members because they start work at around 05.00 each morning and end at about 21.30, 7 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    It was based down here (Thames/Medway. ).
    But as the novelty wore of, passenger numbers dropped and with it income.
    Boat then moved on to the Dart.
    and again - you are mixing up the Waverley and the Kingswear Castle

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast