Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Nav Lights question

Just completed a crossing from Jersey to Dartmouth, all went well and was delighted with my recently installed AIS
    My only issue (other than lack of wind) was around midnight in the shipping lanes we spotted a vessel showing red over red. I found him on AIS with a CPA too close for my liking but no vessel details we then saw red, white red and altered course. Turned out it was a yacht under motor showing all his lights and what I saw was the port side of his tri-colour, then his steaming light then his port side bow light. As I was seeing his port side I did right to alter course but it was confusing.

What is the view of the forum? Visibility was good but it was very dark and I did not expect him to be showing a tri-colour along with other lights under motor.

Default Re: Nav Lights question

I'd e confused as well. Should not be showing a masthead tricolour of motoring.

Can't say I'm surprised I see it all the time in the Solent area. Recently left Yarmouth before dawn on a bank holiday weekend for a channel crossing - so there were about 10 other yachts doing the same. About half of them were showing incorrect lights.

I can't say that I have seen this, but we have higher standards on the East Coast.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

If you had him on AIS, perhaps a VHF call might have been in order. If you end up spending too long trying to work out an incorrect light display your attention may be drawn away from something else important. If it doesn't cause you a problem, then next vessel may not be so lucky.

Name and shame the idiot!

I had a similar experience entering L' Aber'Wrach with a cat showing deck lights plus tricolour. All I saw was two fixed greens which sent me into a mild panic.
    People who think their, generally limited, knowledge trumps the centuries of accumulated experience invested in the Colregs should ponder long and hard about why they may not be necessarily best placed to unilaterally rewrite the rules for safe navigation.
    Bizarre anchor light configurations spring to mind, as well: a quick flashing white, what could that possibly be mistaken for??
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

I had a similar confusion approaching Dartmouth just after midnight on a dark, wet, night. Out of the murk loomed blue over white over blue!

It turned out to be a yacht showing me his forward starboard side with tri-col, steaming light and deck level nav light.

The blue? I suspect he’d put an ordinary white LED bulb inside lenses designed and coloured for incandescent bulbs. Not the first time we’ve noticed very poor colour and not, I suspect, that easy to spot from your own boat unless you make a point of checking. We should all check our lights at least once a season, but do we all?

Once a season? I check them every time I switch them on.
    ۞

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Once a season? I check them every time I switch them on.
    Really? This may be worth a read ...
    https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications...5/mair/mair12/

Full report here..
    https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/25004/mair12_001.pdf
    Last edited by Frank Holden; 13-06-19 at 09:15.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast