Default Improved soft shackle

Just came across this on another forum, slightly more involved thwn a diamond knot but stronger and maybe slightly easier than having to learn the diamond knot.

Every boat should have some

Default Re: Improved soft shackle

Thanks

I will give it a try.

I agree, every yacht should have some - but some uses appear to be a bit contrived for dyneema - and sometimes a different cordage base would be quite adequate (and might be better).

Jonathan

I've been using this form of soft shackle for 3 or 4 seasons now.
    I find them easier to make and use, they also boast a load tested breaking strength of twice that of the rope used to make the soft shackle.
    This in effect means that the soft shackle loses 50% of the rope strength, bearing in mind that there are 4 strands of rope supporting the load.
    Cheers
    Ian

I made a few yesterday and am converted from the diamond knot method. Using 6mm dyneema, I find that a few adjustments to lengths makes a good difference. Using 54” instead of 48” allows for 8” burys and gives a better final size. Highly recommend the method though!

Looks good, but what rope should be used to make the sort of soft shackle that can be used to tie eye spliced 16mm genoa sheets to the clew ring?
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    Looks good, but what rope should be used to make the sort of soft shackle that can be used to tie eye spliced 16mm genoa sheets to the clew ring?
    5mm or 6mm of something like marlow 12max should be fine as far strength goes though maybe a little sharp through the 16mm loop, you could always make a long soft shackle and double it. I spliced a few metres of 5mm D12 to the sheet which helps keep the weight down from the sheet at the clew. The soft shackle helps tacking on a cutter rig as it doesn't catch on the inner forestay.

How to splice dyneema to polyester , can be handy for roller reefing line as well >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aohGiTNCMQE
    Last edited by GHA; 16-06-19 at 13:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    I have not tried soft shackles in this application - I don't see the advantage.

We take the 2 sheets and sew them into hollow dyneema braid leaving the centre section of the braided tape empty. We then cow hitch the empty part of the braid to the clew. This forms a very flat attachment at the clew that will, or does, not catch on anything. We sew by hand using dyneema braided fishing line. You can use hollow nylon tape instead - it does not have quite the life of dyneema.

We used the nylon tape method when we raced (before dyneema became fashionable), renewed maybe annually. We have been using the dyneema tape for about 10 years now, on 2 headsails, and have not replaced it. The cow hitch does tighten and I resort to needle headed pliers to prise it loose

Most cordage makers supply hollow dyneema tape, or try your sailmaker.

Jonathan