Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Long term plans, realistic scenario for circumnavigation?

Just to preface this, our plans are at best lines in the sand at the moment, but finances are not - we have a pretty clear view on what's achievable and what we want to do - I'm just curious about some things I've read recently and seen on the Tube.

The wife and I are planning (together and mutually) for about 8 years hence when I'm of an age to retire early(ish) and go off and do something that involves living on a boat and travelling. Kids will be grown up enough and house is sorted (we aim to rent it out, assuming its not all red taped out of existence by then) and both of us can cope with having less and we both buy in to the idea.

We currently own a Bavaria 36 of 2003 ilk (37.5ft), nice boat and great for us at the moment allthough (in my opinion) a bit tender allthough nothing a reef early doesnt fix. The interior is sound and solid and it's in rather nice condition - but needs stuff like the sail drive, rigging and all the cordage changing - a process which i was going to do in stages at the same time as other stuff like autopilots, networks and all the other stuff that we do ad infinitum!

After some discussions we've come to a bit of a cross roads in our thoughts about the boat itself, whilst we are happy to put the money into it, we are starting to wonder if this is the boat for the future, the one that we go off in. I'm of the opinion that any boart that we go off for an extended period in would need to be somewhat differently kitted out than for a weekend/week holiday boat but that whilst we have something like 6 years to go before making that decision - I'd rather not be sailing a clunky overspecced crusing boat for weekends away.

Our dilemma is really this: should we accept that we may not be able to afford another boat - stick with what we have and kit it out slowly for the great adventure or not do anything at all and wait for years until we "might" change boats again. I've only got the cash once to kit out - and whilst of course I'm earning and we can save - we also don't want our current boat to fall apart as its still going to be used a reasonable amount more than most boats in marinas these days (I spend about 3 weekends a month all year on the boat).

Bottom line - Bavaria 36 for moderated and sensible circumnavigation (I'm talking about taking a year to plod down to the med for starters for instance) or is this kind of boat simply too light, not designed for it and under specced for what we intend to do? Its got a litany of things that I keep hearing/seeing adverse comments about like spade rudder, shoal draft, tender handling, aft cockpit etc etc..

However - an awful lot of those comments come from folks who have a 1972 long keel something or other - who have a vested interest in avoiding the discussion about modern(ish) boats as they have come from a different background to us and are well versed in the "traditional" way of doing stuff - so I think I'm looking for an opinion whether we could spend the money keeping current boat up to date and go in that - i simply can not whatsoever purchase another boat now or within the near future unless i swap this one for some 1980's thing that the wife will hate - but would do the job.

What would you do? Or are you in this position? Our conversations at home go round and round on this subject and we don't seem to be able to reach any form of reasonable solution.

Default Re: Long term plans, realistic scenario for circumnavigation?

You may want a look at Guidos Sailing Channel on YouTube as he sails a similar boat.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJ...eugSvlA/videos

And think about the way forward.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Oh! that's one that we haven't seen.

So far we've been feasting on Wandering Steve, Bora Bora, Sailing Florence, Kittiwake, Sail Life (sanding made fun),Learning the lines,Dylan, Patrick and just about anything else that is not bikini's and cats.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteSurfer View Post
    Oh! that's one that we haven't seen.

So far we've been feasting on Wandering Steve, Bora Bora, Sailing Florence, Kittiwake, Sail Life (sanding made fun),Learning the lines,Dylan, Patrick and just about anything else that is not bikini's and cats.
    For some hardcore sailing try

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUH...J7WKEmf7vJKfAw

I am in the process of "upgrading" my Gib'Sea 96 for some long voyages, both Patrick and Erik have convinced me that a single handed trip to Fareo is a must before I head for warmer waters.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Nonsense you Bavaria will handle it , your not expecting to go out in storm force winds and as most people are doing following the Milk run and keeping a good idea on the weather ,
    A bluewater boat needs to be safe , comfortable (for you and other) and have the equipment to handle it , look at your autopilot , go for a windvane (as well) decent AIS, Radar, good cruising sails , get the rigging checked and replaced were needed , and go for it
    Heading out myself in 2 years in a Moody 42 ,
    Aft cockpit , no Davits , and a heavy beast , but Im in no hurry I am going out to sail and being on the water is were I want to be
    Go For it plent of Bavaria's have done it and will keep doing it , you will hear 2 sides to every story but if your happy stuff them all
    Flying birds have no master

We have a similar (Jeanneau) boat to you and my two concerns about trans ocean sailing are the strength of the standing rigging and rudder protection. The first is easy to beef up and I have mused about fairing a half skeg into the hull and/or commissioning a bespoke rudder. Realistically, I think a more suitable blue water boat would be a better option: I favour Ovnis...at the moment.
    As an aside, I'm not sure what particular value AIS offers to blue water cruising, unless you're shorthanded and want to sleep at sea in the hope that you won't encounter a vessel without AIS. An interesting distraction but not much else.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

What's the water tankage on the Bavaria?

Plenty of spade rudders cruising bluewater these days. Wouldn't be my choice but if I already had the boat I don't think I would change just for that reason. And you could always go belt and braces and make up an emergency rudder with transom mounts.

There's a lot to be said for knowing your boat inside out, and being able to trust it, and being able to maintain and repair it. A big plus for the boat you already have.

There's also ways of adding resilience. An inner forestay and hank on genoa, in case your furler packs up. Manual water tap in case of pump or electrical failure. Below decks autopilot in case of steering cable failure- and a Hydrovane too for good measure.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    We have a similar (Jeanneau) boat to you and my two concerns about trans ocean sailing are the strength of the standing rigging and rudder protection. The first is easy to beef up and I have mused about fairing a half skeg into the hull and/or commissioning a bespoke rudder. Realistically, I think a more suitable blue water boat would be a better option: I favour Ovnis...at the moment.
    As an aside, I'm not sure what particular value AIS offers to blue water cruising, unless you're shorthanded and want to sleep at sea in the hope that you won't encounter a vessel without AIS. An interesting distraction but not much else.
    I think AIS and radar are essentail for an ocean crossing now, the seas are becoming more crowded with commercial craft and it is nice to be alerted to them in a dark night 5 days into a long voyage and all crew are tired , to have an alert even if it is 20 miles away allows you to just keep an eye on it
    Radar will do this as well , but will not give you their call sign , which you can then call them up and say naughty words if they ar not getting out of your way in a timley manner
    OFC people sail all over without these high tech soultions , but people live in Mud huts as well , what would you choose
    IMHO OFC But I will have everything that will aid me and make my life that little bit less stressfull and safer so I can gaze at the stars and watch the bioluminescent go by at my pleasure
    Flying birds have no master

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    Bavaria...Wouldn't be my choice but if I already had the boat I don't think I would change...There's a lot to be said for knowing your boat inside out, and being able to trust it, and being able to maintain and repair it...There's also ways of adding resilience...
    There's a lot worth listening to in this one. Neither your Bav or any other modern lightweight would be my first choice, but as noted, lots have gone around; within reason it's really not about the boat, it's crews that make or break it on ocean crossings.
    There's also a lot to be said for sailing 'the boat you know' we sailed around Europe for several years and changed boats only six months ahead of turning west to cross the Atlantic and for the first couple of years our biggest hassles came in dealing with breakdowns/maintenance; we just didn't 'know' the boat well enough.

Worth remembering also: If you like your current boat and it's already served you well, then if/when it does give you a problem you're more likely to forgive it than you would the one that you've spent serious money replacing it with because it's perceived to be better suited.
    Hit the road often enough and eventually it will hit you back.

Have you both done distance non stop sailing on the boat? As in a week out of site of land, perhaps head south west from the scilly Isles for three days and nd then come back? If not do it and see how you feel, I've met a number of couples in the south pacific who headed off on the milk run and then four weeks later decided that they would prefer to cross an ocean with an extra pair of hands but just don't have the space for it when taking into account the toys on board plus supplies and provisions needed.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast