Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preparing rice

Default Preparing rice

Good evening everyone

How do you all go about washing your rice before cooking it when fresh water is in limited supply?

Iíve done a couple of searches but havenít found anything other using sea water and thatís not an idea for me as iím cruising around the North Sea this summer and waterís dubious enough for swimming let alone food prep.

Thanks for your advise.

Nick

Default Re: Preparing rice

Well my wife is Chinese and rice preparation and cooking is a religion. Just checked and washing is essential and has to be done in fresh water. I guess in the North Sea you have the advantage of plenty of rain to top up the supplies. Advice from here is bite the bullet and use the water.

All depends on the rice...
    The purpose of washing is to remove milled rice flour, which would make it stodgy. if there is little or no flour (thanks to the milling and shipping/ storing) then there is no need to wash.
    Once you have decided to wash then be sure that you dont abrade the grains, causing more flour.
    Virtually any water quality shouldnt be a problem since the cooking will be at least 10 minutes, nearer 20 to 30 or even 40 minutes at 100oC, enough to kill anything that cant jump up and bite you anyway.
    Just call me Dougal, Sir Dougal to you.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...k-perfect-rice

Works for me (prepared for incoming ).

On the boat, remove rice from packet. Weight out portion size, bring water to the boil, add rice in salted water (salt water is too salty - I have tried), bring to the boil, turn off heat, add lid and leave for 20 mins, strain and serve. Simples.

Uncle Ben rice can be used.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

I use Sainsbury's basmati, white or brown... pan of boing water, bung it in straight from the packet... W 10 minutes, B 20 minutes, no washing or any other buggering about eg measuring water or stirring or whatever. Works perfectly. If you want sticky Thai rice I've no idea.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala" for sale.

30 + years ago rice needed washing -----no more its cleaner now-----basmati rice-----2 measures water 1 rice---bring to the boil----simmer for a minute or 2 ----put lid on----take off heat--- wait 20 mins-------beware following op 20-40 minutes cooking times-----think that would end up as mush

We usually use Basmati rice and it gets a soak and quick rinse. Then in the pan covered with cold water plus 1/2” on top. Bring to the book and immediately reduce to the slowest simmer you can manage and seal the top of the pan (foil or a very close fitting lid with no holes or both) TWELVE MINUTES and it should have cooked through and absorbed all the water. If it hasn’t then put the lid etc back on and give it another minute.

I was taught this way by a Chinese chef except he used his thumbnail to measure the extra amount of water over the rice...
    It works for me and is reasonably foolproof.
    Semper aliud

4 parts fresh to 1 of seawater is what I use for any recipe involving salted water.

Don't bother washing but usually use brown rice. Tastier (imho) and healthier. Couldn't be easier, splash of oil in a small pressure cooker, cup of rice, about cup and quarter water, let it hiss forn 10 minutes and cool so pressure drops. Open and eat, perfect every time. White rice just needs a couple of minutes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast