Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My 1969 Winner Piranha project

As a newcomer here, and to the world of boating I'd like to introduce you all to myself and my little Winner Piranha.
    I spent quite a bit of time as a young boy sailing with my grandfather who was a member of Christchurch sailing club, and had many enjoyable school holidays rowing up and down the river Avon and Stour.
    I never found myself following in his footsteps, but recently have taken a new found interest in the water. Having 2 boys of my own now (13 and 11) we have participated in a few experience days in Southampton and hired a little motor boat from Christchurch quay and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
    Roll forward to a couple of weeks ago, and a passing comment to one of my customers about possibly looking for about, he announced his neighbour had one for sale and I should go and pay him a visit.
    That visit became my start to being a boat owner!
    It reminded me of the dory that my grandfather used to own, and being a bargain (in my opinion anyway!) I decided to embark on what should be great little project.
    The initial faults were a seized steering linkage, some iffy wiring and just generally scruffy.
    I have fixed the steering. Will deal with the wiring in the next week or so and also give the outboard a service.
    I have also picked up an auxiliary outboard, radio, life jackets and other related paraphernalia.
    The plan is to get out for a few days out over the summer, then bring it into my workshop over winter and deal with the aesthetics.
    I'm sure I'll have plenty of question to ask, so please forgive me!
    Gary

Default Re: My 1969 Winner Piranha project

Also picked up some new seats to replace the foam lined school chairs!

Quote Originally Posted by GaryShaw View Post
    As a newcomer here, and to the world of boating I'd like to introduce you all to myself and my little Winner Piranha.
    I spent quite a bit of time as a young boy sailing with my grandfather who was a member of Christchurch sailing club, and had many enjoyable school holidays rowing up and down the river Avon and Stour.
    I never found myself following in his footsteps, but recently have taken a new found interest in the water. Having 2 boys of my own now (13 and 11) we have participated in a few experience days in Southampton and hired a little motor boat from Christchurch quay and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
    Roll forward to a couple of weeks ago, and a passing comment to one of my customers about possibly looking for about, he announced his neighbour had one for sale and I should go and pay him a visit.
    That visit became my start to being a boat owner!
    It reminded me of the dory that my grandfather used to own, and being a bargain (in my opinion anyway!) I decided to embark on what should be great little project.
    The initial faults were a seized steering linkage, some iffy wiring and just generally scruffy.
    I have fixed the steering. Will deal with the wiring in the next week or so and also give the outboard a service.
    I have also picked up an auxiliary outboard, radio, life jackets and other related paraphernalia.
    The plan is to get out for a few days out over the summer, then bring it into my workshop over winter and deal with the aesthetics.
    I'm sure I'll have plenty of question to ask, so please forgive me!
    Gary

2 nicer seats would give it a good look

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    2 nicer seats would give it a good look
    I have bought some. I added it to the post this evening, but they seem to take a while to show.

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Thank you.

Welcome as Petem said.

Looks a fun project. If you do consider changing the seats....check out this company.

http://www.eagbaltic.com/one-place-p...fisherman.html

I ordered a big double helm seat a few years ago. Quality was very good for the price and you can pick your material/ colour combo.

Edit....sorry....your post on the new seats you already had wasn’t there when I posted the above!
    Last edited by FARSCO; 15-06-19 at 16:51.

Take that horrible cockwood sign off the stern. And remember it’s the trailer that needs most maintenance
    Last edited by seastoke; 15-06-19 at 14:57.

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    Take that horrible cockwood sign off the stern. And remember it’s the trailer that needs most maintenance
    The boat has been at a mates yard since I bought it, I have literally just brought it home today.
    I had the hubs off and greased the bearings, structurally it's sound.
    The Cockwood sign will be going!

So having got the boat home today I thought I'd see if the outboard would actually run. Its been in a garage for the last 3 years, so although dry, it's not been run.
    I put 5 litres of premix in and to my surprise it fired up 2nd pull!
    I will be giving it a full service before it touches the water, but I'm pleased it seems reliable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast