Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas regulator

Default Gas regulator

Hello,
    We’ve got a new (30 year old) hallberg rassy and although we’ve have our gas hoses changed and certificate, we’ve just gone to change the bottle of empty gas and the regulator appears to be stuck. It does look pretty corroded. Does anyone know a good, safe, way to get this off?
    Thank you,
    Lauren

Default Re: Gas regulator

Quote Originally Posted by lrlloyd View Post
    Hello,
    We’ve got a new (30 year old) hallberg rassy and although we’ve have our gas hoses changed and certificate, we’ve just gone to change the bottle of empty gas and the regulator appears to be stuck. It does look pretty corroded. Does anyone know a good, safe, way to get this off?
    Thank you,
    Lauren
    You don't say what type of gas cylinder or gas type. Calor butane, Calor propane, Camping Gaz or some other

If you are trying to remove the regulator from a small Calor butane or a Calor propane cylinder, or a regulator from a Camping Gaz to Calor adapter valve are you aware that the thread is left handed?

Assuming you have a fitting which requires a spanner have you tried a gentle tap or two with a decent sized hammer?

Have you tried heating the offending joint with some very hot / boiling water ? No, I suppose because you cannot heat the water ! A hair dryer ??
    Last edited by VicS; 14-06-19 at 06:54.

Curious that a gas engineer would change the hoses and leave a rusty, stuck, regulator ?
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Paul raises a good point. If you're still in the vicinity of the gas engineers I'd be inclined to raise the issue them...why didnt they change the regulator.
    If not, I'd give it a sharp tap with a hammer, worst case is you'll damage the regulator and/or thread but since it needs a new reg anyway and you'll be exchanging the bottle.
    Otherwise, take the pipe off and exchange bottle with the reg still attached

A picture of the offending assembly would help.
    I've just replaced my regulator. The options and combinations are multitudinous.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

In way shape or form a gas engineer, but would a little Plusgas over night work to free it up work?

its a left hand thread usually .. are you turning the correct way??

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    its a left hand thread usually .. are you turning the correct way??
    As already suggested in #2

Quote Originally Posted by lrlloyd View Post
    Hello,
    Thank you,
    Lauren
    can i suggest you get a gas engineer as your original engineer should have checked regulator and changed if corroded especially if he has issued you with a gas certificate as it`s pretty crucial if corroded you are not using regulator as it block`s up and its possibly not marine grade as well but with no pic`s its hard to verify and it`s strange someone would change hose`s and not test and check regulator when i do check`s any corrosion and ill fail it not worth my job leaving it

pics be good tho

nick
    also no hammer on joints please as if you not sure what your doing your could end up with a big bang and breaking off bottle connection
    Last edited by thegasmannick; 14-06-19 at 19:29.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Regulators aren't expensive & need to be replaced periodically to keep a gas system safe. Buy a new one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast