Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wallasea Jetty

Default Wallasea Jetty

I see that they are about to dismantle the Crossrail mud jetty on the Crouch. I understood that they were keeping it maintained until more spoil could be obtained, presumably muck is now in short supply. I don't think it has been used for some years and must have cost a few bob to keep maintained and lit.
    Has anyone got any experience of the pros & cons of this scheme? It seems to have had less detrimental effect on the tidal flow than I had feared, but I haven't yet seen much evidence of the benefit to wildlife.
    The RSPB site only reports what a marvellous and unmitigated success it has been.

Default Re: Wallasea Jetty

What a waste, it would be good if the local community could come together and keep the jetty open for boating use. Its in a great position, some alternative use would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by cueball View Post
    What a waste, it would be good if the local community could come together and keep the jetty open for boating use. Its in a great position, some alternative use would be great.
    Yes, it does seem a waste of a resource, but there is zero chance of the RSPB putting people's interest before birds.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

What kind of use is envisaged? Its not like it is conveniently situated for a local pub or in a particularly sheltered spot.
    Last edited by Little Grebe; 17-06-19 at 13:10.
    Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    What kind of use is envisaged? Its not like is is conveniently situated for a local pub or in a particularly sheltered spot.
    It is also hardly designed for mooring the average MAB or Mobo against either.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Good point, also I wonder how long the additional buoyage brought in for the crossrail ships will be maintained for now it is no longer needed.
    Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    What kind of use is envisaged? Its not like it is conveniently situated for a local pub or in a particularly sheltered spot.
    Perhaps it could have been converted to a themed restaurant.
    The restaurant at the end of the universe or back of beyond. Speciality dish, wildfowl casserole or Brent goose breast?
    The conveyor belt could have been converted to carry the customers.

No

But thinking about it they could have relocated the charter fishing boats currently based in Essex Marina there to save them the trouble of having to charge along the fairway next to moorings creating a massive wash
    Substance over style

It's close to the mouth of the crouch, would cut down journey times from the marinas and clubs further up the river for boats wanting to get out to sea. 24 hour floating access with power, water etc.

You've still got the journey to get to your boat, which I assume would have to be by water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast