Default Glassing question

What is the possibility of glassing the on the inside of a hull while in (Bristol Channel) water?
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Default Re: Glassing question

I can't see any reason why not, presuming you intend adding fixtures - or is it a repair job?
    In which case it may need dry feet.
    George

Obviously the temperature will be the main problem, apart from condensation. If you can warm the area and keep it warm until cured then it should be OK.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Presumably you're concerned about temperature and curing. I don't have any figures, but at this time of year I wouldn't have any concerns.

In midwinter it might not be a bad idea to gently warm the area first.

Pete

are you planning to use epoxy or polyester resin?
    If epoxy an electric blanket applied over the area once peelply and plastic film are applied will help cure it nicely.

For what it's worth, NOAA thinks the water temperature in the Bristol Channel at the moment is 13°.

Pete

I can warm the interior with a fan heater and I have a hot air gun but can't use both at the same time (genny can't cope).

When I dived in the Sharpness - Gloucester canal, the log sensor reckoned 9°. It seemed a lot colder than that! It's a mixture of fresh from the Severn and all the "second hand" stuff from upriver.

I didn't state that the part of the hull in question, is in the bilge, i.e. there is water on the other side.
    Last edited by Graham_Wright; 14-06-19 at 09:51.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Its very easy with polyester - I did a repair in the mud rushing against an incoming tide in December and the use of hot air gun sorted it all out (under the eyes of a professional who couldn't fit in the bilge due to age but guided me through and checked it and was very happy with the result.) Sand a clean, heat with a hot air gun, lay down the mat and resin with plenty of catalyst , roller thoroughly, then just play the hot air gun back and forth - you may see the very edges of the resin where there in no mat (as its squeezed out with the roller) start to bubble under the ht air but that's fine, it won't get too hot on the mat with depth and more resin. In winter I was crammed in there for about 30 minutes with the hot air gun, I would expect a lot less time in June even with rubbish weather.

After a thousand miles sailing over the last 3 months you can't tell the repair from the rest of the hull so its clearly not dodgy to make it all go off so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Its very easy with polyester - I did a repair in the mud rushing against an incoming tide in December and the use of hot air gun sorted it all out (under the eyes of a professional who couldn't fit in the bilge due to age but guided me through and checked it and was very happy with the result.) Sand a clean, heat with a hot air gun, lay down the mat and resin with plenty of catalyst , roller thoroughly, then just play the hot air gun back and forth - you may see the very edges of the resin where there in no mat (as its squeezed out with the roller) start to bubble under the ht air but that's fine, it won't get too hot on the mat with depth and more resin. In winter I was crammed in there for about 30 minutes with the hot air gun, I would expect a lot less time in June even with rubbish weather.

After a thousand miles sailing over the last 3 months you can't tell the repair from the rest of the hull so its clearly not dodgy to make it all go off so fast.
    Mine is a bilge-keeper so a lot more space and, of course, I am lithe.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com