Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Outboard selection/transom weights and servicing

Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post

I'd love one, but I sort of feel they might be the outboard equivalent of an alfa romeo.
    Out of interest, what made you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Out of interest, what made you say that?
    The sort of thing you must own at least once due to very tempting specs (and looks in alfas case), but kind of take a chance when you do.

I have a honda only 2hp but its shite unreliable ,going rusty ,noisy

Hi
    The mercury and Yamaha are certainly not the same engine.

Canít comment on your particular needs but but what I can say is we have had a mercury 5hp my dad bought it in 1987 NEVER changed the gearbox oil or the impeller NEVER flushed it.still on the boat hanging off the Davis in the open , Been used most of the time in salt water never let Us down great motor ,

Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post
    Hello everyone,

Now I've finally selected a specific boat (thanks to everyone who gave advice on that thread) I'm now trying to decide on an outboard. The supplying boat dealer offers Honda and Suzuki. The difficulty I'm having is in the pricing, service location and transom weight. The new boats transom limit is 115kg. I've considered the following and it's left a somewhat difficult choice. Prices are without rigging.

Would anyone mind helping me reason this out?

Honda BF60
    At list price these are £8,600! That is £3k more than the equivalent Mercury and £2k more than a Suzuki. I'm sure they do a good job but on a sub £20k boat, thats a lot of lolly....are they worth it? Servicing available locally.
    Weight: 110kg

Suzuki DF60A
    £6,500 approx. There isn't a Suzuki dealer anywhere close, which means a long round trip if I want to maintain the warranty, otherwise a fine choice. Light. Lowest displacement.
    Weight: 104kg

Evinrude ETEC 60
    £6,775 on offer for £5,500. I like 2 strokes in both bikes and outboards, but there isn't a dealer anywhere near me. Not sure on reliability.
    Weight: 109kg

Yamaha F60FETL
    £7,200 approx. The default choice for many I expect. Servicing is reasonably close by but the drive there would be a pain as roads are always busy. Heavy.
    Weight: 114kg

Mercury F60 ELPT
    £5,500. Many accessories available and priced keenly. I've had a Mercury (2T) before and it was solid. A main dealer is located very close to where I'll be keeping my boat. Sell in volume state side.
    Weight: 112kg

Considerations:
    Transom weight limit
    Reliability
    Servicing proximity
    Price

Complications?
    The boat I've chosen is made from triple skin ABS (plastic). I do not know if boat yards other than supplying dealers would be happy to fit outboards to an ABS boat. I feel like it would be a different process to GRP or other material, particularly installation of gauges and so on.

I'm also concerned about having a motor thats weight is very close to the limit of the transom, should I be?

At present I'm tempted to order the boat only and go to the local outboard dealer for a Mercury. It will really depend on the price for the package that comes back from the supplying dealer. I'm struggling to justify £3,000 extra for a Honda over a Mercury and don't want to compromise by going for the 50hp. It's a shame there isnt a Suzuki service centre close by as that would be a done deal.

Can anyone help? I feel like my brain may explode

Thank you!
    You are actually buying an engine with a boat attached, not the other way round!

I researched all makes before buying a Honda135 a couple of years ago. Yes quite heavy, not sexy and premium priced ((although I did secure a 23% discount on list price..)

Evolution rather than revolution is the Honda way and as the engine needs to be totally reliable then don't skimp on it.

I sold the engine as I changed boat - it was 2.5 years old and I had an 80 HR season then stored for 18 months. It cost me £2 k which in boaty terms is nothing. Look at commercial fishing boats, harbour master's boats. A high % use Honda

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    Hi
    The mercury and Yamaha are certainly not the same engine.
    They are. As I said above, different peripherals but the actual core 995cc 65x75mm engines are the same. Designed during the merc/yam joint venture a while ago.

Indeed loads of non-verado mercury content is still Yamaha (and Tohatsu) sourced.

Fishing guys generally use outboards, worth asking on worldseafishing site.

You are quoting engine list prices, which is not always helpful. With the Honda and Suzuki, you need to quote package prices and then add the boat only price to the engine only price of all the others for a proper comparison. The Honda and Suzuki should come in at less than list if you buy as part of a package.

Personally I love the ETec range and the three year service intervals should help offset the distance to a dealer. I am in the JFM camp and service my own anyway, or get a local independant to do it. On cost base alone, the Mercury would seem to be the winner, so for me it would be between the Etec and the Merc. All the engines are much the same in terms of reliability etc so the others, at the costs quoted, would be out.

Ref the etec, you can buy the software and use your own laptop if needed. No oil change really means that a service is little more than plugs, impeller and gearbox oil.

Edited to add: don't forget that evinrude are also doing 10 years warranties at the moment, which is something worth considering. The rest are 5 years I believe.
    Last edited by CLB; 18-06-19 at 10:06.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12