Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Lymington - electrician needed urgently

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHooter View Post
    Job done. Amazing, thanks Den100.
    Great result Michael

Yes this forum has some really good people on it and I value your company enormously. I didn't feel like posting last year but it's nice to be back.

I forgot to say how helpful the staff at Lymington Harbour have been. Thankyou!

I also forgot to say that we have one of these on the boat and it has saved our batteries several times.

I'll be on the boat ASAP and will post some pictures of the faulty adapter which is an expensive item that seems to have let me down badly.

Had somebody unplugged your boat then for the end to have fallen in?
    Electrician In Ipswich & Southwold Yard
    Custom Panels, Eberspacher/Webasto, ECU Remapping

Quote Originally Posted by matthewriches View Post
    Had somebody unplugged your boat then for the end to have fallen in?
    Hi Matt. We don't know. When we phoned the harbour to say we had lost power they reported that we were tripping the breaker on the pontoon outlet and the same thing when they tried plugging us in to another outlet. You very recently did the full test on the boat so I guessed it would be the shore power cable that is the problem. You may recall this is 6mm² 3 Core HO7RNF with 32A IP67 couplers on the shore end stepping down to a short pigtail with a standard 16A plug. Next the harbour reported there was water in the couplers and it was their suggestion that maybe the cable had fallen in the water. DEN100 cut the cable just on the boat side of the couplers, fitted a 16A plug which I had on board (fortunately not buried in the lazarette), and the boat went live straight away and has stayed live ever since. DEN100 says there is stagnant water in the couplers (and, no, he didn't feel like tasting it to see if it is salt) and a "burnt" smell. I will take the couplers to bits when we are back in Lymington but Frances thinks it's quite possibly rain wot dun it, or that waves have washed over the pontoon (Dan Bran is a long pontoon facing the channel near the harbour entrance). I am a bit cheesed off that the couplers have failed because the advantage of this arrangement is that we can plug into either 32A or 16A shore power.

The Lymington Harbour guys actually went on to the boat to check the batteries net current draw and volts while we were without shore power - I thought that was brilliant. But my next job is to enable me to look at the distribution board remotely so that if we lose shore power I can see the status myself. Not sure whether to leave the computer running and use the existing pilot house camera or add a stand-alone WiFi camera and just leave the router running. And we need bigger solar panels so we can run the fridge & freezer off the inverter in the summer - at the moment when we leave the boat I switch the inverter to "charger only" so that if we lose shore power it's the freezer contents that get wrecked, not the batteries.

Should this have been a PM? Does anyone else want to follow this?
    Last edited by TwoHooter; 16-06-19 at 07:30.

I think we can set the pilot house camera to be viewed without the PC on so as long as the ships router is powered on with signal. You'll be able to view it on your phone, etc.

I seem to think we had demo'd this but not actually set it up.
    Electrician In Ipswich & Southwold Yard
    Custom Panels, Eberspacher/Webasto, ECU Remapping

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHooter View Post

Does anyone else want to follow this?
    YES it's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    YES it's interesting.
    +1

interested please do keep us updated.

Fyi, I use a mifi router which is connected to mains power (USB) and has built-in battery backup for something like 8hours, which is useful when the power trips. Same for mini cameras.

very interesting.

I have been thinking about setting up a Raspberry Pi to monitor certain aspects and sensors, does anyone have experience of doing this?

Sorry for long delay. I decided that if we didn't do some actual boating instead of maintenance and improvements I'd lose the will to boat, so everything is on hold while the weather lasts. But I will pursue this, hopefully with my usual source of expert help, and will start a new thread when I have something to say. Meanwhile this thread is worth reading: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...meras-on-boats

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12