Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Which small gaffer

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
    My vote goes for the memory out of those mentioned. A lot of sail on them, so be prepared to reef early, but even with a reef in...... you are not short of sail. When I sailed a shrimper I felt I was sort of sitting on top of it. On the Memory I was sitting in a powerful boat. Horses for courses.
    +1. And she will put up with drying out, etc. Proper boat.

Had a trip around too the Deben at the weekend in the Drascombe. All worked fine, a beat down the Orwell Friday against a sea breeze which gradually died away as I got out and worked my way towards Felixstowe Ferry. Motored in against the last of the ebb, shallow in places but I don't really take much notice of those red and green things floating in the entrance........
    Made it up to the Rocks where a pleasant night was spent. On shore breeze next morning so a nice beat back down river with the last of the morning ebb until the ferry where a stop for breakfast was needed.
    That of cause was where all the trouble started, because moored in the middle was a lovely green Cape Cutter. Not saying its for sale or anything but it is rather gorgeous and all my contentment slipped away for awhile...........

I was surprised how low the cabin is but also how substantial everything else was..

There seems lots of support on here for the Memory's and they are very pretty. The rig seems well oversize, reminiscent of the racers from the 1890's with boom and bowsprit
    sticking out each end a fair way. Would explain the performance especially in light airs.

So I now need to sit below in a Cape Cutter and find out what the head room is like.

Back to the Deben. After breakfast pushed out against the flood and had a brilliant reach across the front of Felixstowe back to Landgaurd and then home.

A decent sized Hallberg Rassy came out behind me but followed those red and green things for some reason......

Cape cutter for performance. They have plenty of niggles though. There is some good owners chat info available.
    Not sure you should go down the Memory route as its probably not a substantial enough boat for you. Nothing wrong with them mind and performance is enviable.

I noticed earlier there's a couple of Norfolk Gypsys in the brokerage at Titchmarsh Marina, if you fancy a bit of tyre kicking.

Thanks Simon,
    I noticed the Gypsys at Walton a few weeks back, the green one looks especially nice.
    They do seem quite substantial and I like the large cockpit and the idea of an inboard.
    I've literally just returned from a trip around to the Ore and up to Snape. There are all 3 of my short list moored at Orford though the Crabbers far out weigh the rest.
    I noticed the Cape Cutter has her mast much more centrally located and I like the idea of a modern design approach to the rig. I just wish you could rise the outboard, not so much for performance but longevity. I know you can remove it but I'm lucky enough to be able to sail most days if I want so its a hassle.

Drascombe Coaster or larger Drifter perhaps.

thanks Zagato, sail a much modified coaster at the moment.
    The newer second generation Drifter (Selway) would be a consideration but with the standard rig I don't think so....... and its a case of been there done that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12