Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which small gaffer

I'm looking at various small second hand gaffers.
    The 3 on the short list are a Shrimper, Norfolk Gypsy or a Cape Cutter.

Disregarding price I suppose the most important question from my point of view is which sails best?

I quite like the idea of an inboard but my assumption is the Cap Cutter gives the most rewarding sail especially to windward.

I do like the Gypsys'

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Which small gaffer

Ptobably the Cape Cutter is the fastest, Think it won the round the island class bit several times.

There is a David Moss Sea Otter for sale on the IOW, beautiful. A bit small but an absolute jewel. I wish I could have bought her

https://www.davidmossboatbuilders.co.../nutmeg-15500/

Have look at the Memory too, used to be built by Salterns in Bursledon. Quick boat for its type

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Do you need to trailer sail her, and does she need to be plastic?

The various little modern gaffers tend to be quite expensive for what they are and you can pick up a decent small wooden boat for much less money, complete with her history... look for Hillyard 2.1/2 ton, Blackwater sloop, Johnson and Jago...

Thanks guys, yes I spotted the Sea Otter and its very nice.

I don't really want to go down the wooden route, I'm much more a sailor than a painter/varnish-er. I know modern epoxy coating can make wooden boats almost plastic anyway some would say.
    The trailer isn't important but shallow draft and able to take the ground is. At the moment I've a Drascombe Coaster and she gets used all year round. I want the versatility of the Coaster but with better sea keeping. I suppose I feel I've outgrown her
    and want something a little more substantial.

Right-oh. If you won't be trailing but will be taking the ground, add weight, both in the form of external ballast keel and in the form of more GRP.

The Memory is indeed a very nice boat and sails properly; so does the Norfolk Gypsy but some Memories are better built than others whilst the Gypsy was very well built from the start. You should not buy the Otter if you are not comfortable with wooden boats. The name of Dudley Dix says all that needs to be said about the Cape Cutter's performance. I think you might find the Shrimper's performance rather below what you might be hoping for.

I used to leave a Shrimper far behind, while sailing a Topper at Chichester in the 'eighties. Until I left a Colvic Watson standing as if she were a lighthouse, last year, the Shrimper was the slowest boat I'd met.

I saw a Cape Cutter at Ashlett a few summers back. Wonderful proportions, and very nice for not being instantly identifiable, I thought.

Last edited by dancrane; 19-06-19 at 20:37.

I literally sailed in circles round a Roberts Spray replica in an Old Gaffers Race, and we were already at the back of the fleet.

My vote goes for the memory out of those mentioned. A lot of sail on them, so be prepared to reef early, but even with a reef in...... you are not short of sail. When I sailed a shrimper I felt I was sort of sitting on top of it. On the Memory I was sitting in a powerful boat. Horses for courses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast