Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Which small gaffer

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
    now this has just popped up https://www.apolloduck.eu/boat/kite/613761

( can't really justify the money)
    +1

I've owned a mk1 Shrimper 19 for a year now, and I have these observations:
    speed under sail is at the mercy of understanding the rig and using all the bits of string - I'm still learning, and small adjustments can make quite big differences (if you sail a Drascombe I imagine you know but switching from a simple bermudan rig "family sailing cruiser" can be a steep learning curve);
    like the Drascombe, the Shrimper has a big dinghy feel with plenty of cockpit space and low coamings but not a lot of protection from spray or breaking water;
    early Shrimpers had a deeper cockpit but weren't self-draining - but I've never had a boat with a s/d cockpit.

Before I bought my Shrimper I looked at two Memorys, the first a factory finished beauty at £7,000, the second a home-completed converted open boat at £2,000. I bid on the first but lost to someone paying over the asking price. The home-completion was just too eccentric and would have needed a lot of work and spending to make it habitable. I paid £7,000 for my Shrimper mk1, and that's about as low as they go. Oh, and Shrimper 19 accommodation is limited - you'd have to be good friends to share the cabin overnight!

Have you seen the Tamarisk 19?

I've not sailed one, but I've owned a couple of other boats by the same designer, David Cannell. Most will be quite old now, but North Sea Craft (Essex) were producing them just a couple of years ago, albeit at hefty price.
    https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives...amarisk-19.htm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123