Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sailing Deck Boots....which?

With a budget of 150 -200 which are the best boots to buy having regard to comfort, grip, dryness and of course longevity?

Default Re: Sailing Deck Boots....which?

The ones that are the most comfortable. All other considerations irrelevant unless you can where them for long hours or days. Try them all on (if you can find somewhere with a good range) and make you choice.
    Not all who wander are lost

I bought a pair of Quayside Biscay about 7 years ago for just over £100, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair but not sure if they are still available. Every bit as good as Dubarry at twice the price.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    The ones that are the most comfortable. All other considerations irrelevant unless you can where them for long hours or days. Try them all on (if you can find somewhere with a good range) and make you choice.
    I would but sadly they are not for me ! They are to be a gift bought by a third party for another! But thanks for your response!

Depends so the sailing you’ll be doing

Fit is primary importance, then waterproofing and breathe-ability

Gaiters are handy if you are likely to-be sat on a fore-deck with crashing waves heading towards your feet
    Gortex & Leather is comfy, nice and breathable - until they leak and you are doing watches on cold nights with wet feet
    Rubber is waterproof, but not breathable - so you’ll stew a bit

Sealskin socks as backup are highly recommended

One issue is size of calf of intended recipient ,if you don't know calf size some makes might not be very comfortable .

Pick the ones that are easiest to slide on in a f7 when its ten to three in the morning and you are trying to get dressed to go on watch. If they slide up inside your waterproof trousers then they will probably be Musto M1 and you can spend the rest of your budget in the pub.

A tale of three boots.
    1. pair of Dubbary bought back in 1997, wore well, were comfortable and remained water tight until 2009 when on a long trip one started to leak.
    2. 2009 pair of Henri Lloyd, bought to replace the Dubarry’s for rest of the trip, very comfortable and water tight and really warm feet, , bought them because couldn’t find a pair of Dubarry in time to continue the voyage.
    3. 2017 pair of new Dubarry to replace the Henri Lloyds, SWMBO volunteered to buy pair for my 70th, so we tried to get a replacement pair of HL’s but the construction of the ‘shaft’ has been changed and I couldn’t get my foot into them despite being the same size as the old ones, so bit the bullet and she ordered a pair of Dubarry, as they were a present from SWMBO I can’t tell her that they aren’t anywhere near as good as the ones I had 20 years ago, not as comfortable and I don’t think as well made, (welded soles in place of stitched) so I’ll put up with them, but if I have to replace these I will have a look at the Quayside boots that Spyro suggests.

Get yourself down to the for sale forum if you require size 8.5 and half price....!

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    Get yourself down to the for sale forum if you require size 8.5 and half price....!
    Unfortunately far too small, besides not impressed with the latest Dubarry’s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast