Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sailing Deck Boots....which?

I'm off Dubarry. The current soles wear well but aren't "sticky" enough for me on a wet deck. The price hurts, too.

Leather doesn't like Salt water. Unlined boots are cold. Rubber boots make your feet sweat and they become cold and wet on night crossings.

My curent boots have Nuagahyde (fake leather) feet with canvas legs and are lined with Goretex. Chosen to fit over sea boot socks I have warm and toasty feet under most conditions.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

All foot wear seems to lose its grip in a few years so I regard them as disposable items to be regularly replaced, always rubber. At least I feel secure wearing newish boots, but I have the advantage of non-sweaty feet.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Sailing boots are much too expensive to take any risks with fit or comfort, I would suggest they should only be purchased in person, they vary in width, in ankle grip and calf space and a size X that fits one person can be uncomfortable on another. I still wear size 9 in sailing shoes and hiking boots but my old Dubs are now too tight to get on and off without a prolonged struggle so are only used when it is really really wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Sailing boots are much too expensive to take any risks with fit or comfort, I would suggest they should only be purchased in person, they vary in width, in ankle grip and calf space and a size X that fits one person can be uncomfortable on another. I still wear size 9 in sailing shoes and hiking boots but my old Dubs are now too tight to get on and off without a prolonged struggle so are only used when it is really really wet.
    suggest the op buys a voucher from a biggish chandlery and present it to the intended in a handmade card showing a picture of boots. That conveys the intent and allows the recipient to choose his own.

Or the op measures the calf size of the lucky recipient . dubaary seem quite snug or tight if you prefer which also seems to be quandary,s view above.

I like to be able to kick the boots off with my feet in case I go overboard. I would strongly recommend letting the recipient choose the boots - maybe a voucher or something?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    I like to be able to kick the boots off with my feet in case I go overboard. I would strongly recommend letting the recipient choose the boots - maybe a voucher or something?
    +1 My current boots are one size bigger than I normally wear for much the same reason, it doesn’t affect their comfort, but at least I can get them on and off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    For the price of a pair of Dubs I'd be hoping they stayed on
    Despite popular belief water in your boots doesn't drag you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    For the price of a pair of Dubs I'd be hoping they stayed on
    Despite popular belief water in your boots doesn't drag you down.

I think that is only true if the boots, when dropped in the water, float of their own accord..

What may be a disadvantage being unable to remove one's boots in the water is the increased clumsiness and compromised ability to make swimming movements. Against which, boots will provide a modicum of thermal insulation.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    I think that is only true if the boots, when dropped in the water, float of their own accord..

What may be a disadvantage being unable to remove one's boots in the water is the increased clumsiness and compromised ability to make swimming movements. Against which, boots will provide a modicum of thermal insulation.
    Did you not notice his location, no way a thrifty Scot is going to pay that much for footwear and not go down with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast