Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default QAB berthing fees

I have a vague recollection that the above charges for an extra day if you arrive "too early". Can anyone clarify their rates. Needless to say, their website only offers a quote facility based on time of arrival which is not always easy to predict after a 500 mile passage.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: QAB berthing fees

Never found them very interested in anything except getting your money in their till.

We dont go there any more.

Visited last week. Visiting boats are expected to leave by 1200 so should be OK if you arrive after that.

It is pricy. But every seventh night is free if you register under the MDL scheme.

I was told by a local (to Plymouth) independent marina employee that the large operators were starting to struggle a bit as their running costs are huge and people are starting to wince at costs and making other choices... wouldn't it be nice if they became a little softer in their attitudes to such things as arriving a little early or leaving slightly late? Not that I have been stitched up on these particular timing issues My boat is only 25' and yet I was relieved of close to 30 quid last week in Falmouth for a very uncomfortable 18hours berthed against a pontoon in the lumpy NE winds = I didn't get a discount for arriving late. The positive though was I made it to the Chain Locker pub without having to brave rowing the dinghy back and forth

Quote Originally Posted by Phildorset View Post
    I was relieved of close to 30 quid last week in Falmouth for a very uncomfortable 18hours berthed against a pontoon in the lumpy NE winds = I didn't get a discount for arriving late. The positive though was I made it to the Chain Locker pub without having to brave rowing the dinghy back and forth
    The pain some will endure for their art....

Has the beer in the famous Chain Locker improved since the latest 'facelift'?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    The pain some will endure for their art....

Has the beer in the famous Chain Locker improved since the latest 'facelift'?
    The beer was fine & very welcome (but the burger was a bit rubbish)

You can always give Torpoint Yacht Harbour a try. Only a short distance from QAB, but is a small, privately run Marina.
    I berth there and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Cornwall View Post
    You can always give Torpoint Yacht Harbour a try. Only a short distance from QAB, but is a small, privately run Marina.
    I berth there and love it.
    +1
    that's where i left my boat last month for 4 weeks, Dave and co were super helpful and I was more than happy there, not polished and pristine - but all the better for it in a way, and at a much more affordable rate too. They only have a couple of spaces for visiting boats inside their walls - but plenty of swinging moorings just outside & an hourly taxi boat run too.

I go for Plymouth Yacht haven, aka Mountbatten. Very slightly cheaper, very helpful, excellent pub and gastropub within easy walk, and there is a nearby ferry to QAB if you need bits from F4 or Marine Bazar not available at their local chandlery.

Surely however you pay for the nights you are there, and no normal operator will turn you away if you arrive a day early?
    A boat is for going places

Which is your boat Phil? When did you arrive and when do you leave?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast