Thread: Ship Registers

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

Default Ship Registers

I have just bought a 1980s Beneteau Evasion currently on Part III with very limited past paperwork and I'm trying to trace her history, in particular the names by which she has gone and ultimately proof of the VAT status.

Does the forum know if Beneteau retain records of boats this old?

She has a Part 1 style registration plate giving the number as O. N. xxxxx and a Thames Tonnage figure of 9T 24/100 so I guess somewhere Imperial.

Any clues as to where I might search for the original record? Eire?

I have the penultimate name and callsign, as the RT licence wasn't changed, but suspect that this too may not be the original.

Default Re: Ship Registers

The Caird Library at National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, has past copies of the Register of Yachts.
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Ring the Register of Shipping at Cardiff. You have the Official Number so they will be able to tell previous owners for as long as she was kept on Part I if transferred to Part III immediately and that has been maintained they may be able to give you a full list of owners.

It is also assumed that a boat of that age has already paid tax
    Flying birds have no master

I believe that a boat that was built before 1992 is exempt from paying VAT in the EU. I went through this with my present boat, built in 1973 in France and was originally registered under the Italian Flag and presently under the Maltese flag.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

Sorted thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    I believe that a boat that was built before 1992 is exempt from paying VAT in the EU. I went through this with my present boat, built in 1973 in France and was originally registered under the Italian Flag and presently under the Maltese flag.
    Not quite right, but almost. Boats in use as private pleasure craft prior to 1 January 1985 and in the EU on 31 December 1992, may be deemed VAT paid if able to prove they were in EU waters at midnight Dec 31st 1992 and have not since been sold outside the EU.

Proof might be a mooring contract/receipt.

UK boats built pre April 1st 1973 are generally considered as "tax paid" as long as not since sold outside the EU and have proof of age and build in UK.

These are generally the views of UK customs, but some overseas customs officers may interpret the rules differently, or not know exactly how they apply.

The UK ship's register will give you (for a fee) a full historical transcript of ownership.

However UK registration is not connected to VAT status, but it may help piece together the history.
    Last edited by jonic; 17-06-19 at 21:15.
    John Rodriguez Yachts - Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

Quote Originally Posted by SAPurdie View Post
    I have just bought a 1980s Beneteau Evasion currently on Part III with very limited past paperwork and I'm trying to trace her history, in particular the names by which she has gone and ultimately proof of the VAT status.

Does the forum know if Beneteau retain records of boats this old?

She has a Part 1 style registration plate giving the number as O. N. xxxxx and a Thames Tonnage figure of 9T 24/100 so I guess somewhere Imperial.

Any clues as to where I might search for the original record? Eire?

I have the penultimate name and callsign, as the RT licence wasn't changed, but suspect that this too may not be the original.
    Ireland does not have an SSR . Irish owners wishing to sail outside the British Isles use the British one, with various stratagems to prove residence in UK. Which flag to fly provides some soul searching😀.

Small addition to Jonic's entirely correct post: Your O.N. and tonnage board gives registered tonnage, which is different from Thames Tonnage, and neither of these are actual measures of weight or displacement. Also the old registration could be from Jersey or Guernsey instead of the UK one.