Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Safety of automatic life vest

Hi,
    as someone very cautious, there is one thing that makes me worry - safety of automatic life jacket. I never used one, last time I was on serious cruise was 2005 (7 days on Baltic) and turned out things changed since then.
    I am bit worried that automatic lifejacket may fail, could someone explain me how they are design to be 100% reliable?

Default Re: Safety of automatic life vest

If the auto function doesn't work then pull the toggle. If that doesn't work blow in the tube.
    Maybe you should wear a solid life vest instead?

Nothing is 100% reliable, but regular servicing and, especially, making sure the cylinder is screwed home firmly makes my jackets reliable enough for us to trust our lives to them.

The capsule has an expiry date, but I once serviced a jacket whose capsule had expired seven years ago. I tossed it into a bowl of water and it went off with a satisfying pop, so was still perfectly functional.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Inflatable Life jackets have to be inspected and maintained; I do this every season. However, there are Buoyancy Aid jackets that are practically maintenance free, used by windsurfers and others. I use buoyancy aid jackets when I am on the dinghy; very practical, quick and less to worry about.

You still don't need to use one unless the laws in your cruising area state that you do. To alleviate your worry you can educate yourself, for example : -

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...ifejacket.aspx
    https://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/...fejacket-17599

Or just Google "how to inspect a lifejacket" and lots of information will be available to you.

In general you are quite right to be concerned, especially if you rely on a lifejacket supplied by someone else as you have no idea if they really have inspected it. Rather than blind trust, a bit of research will allow you to make an easy check without much hassle to at least verify that everything looks OK.

Of course, if you get entangled in the yacht, you could be dragged under and drown as the yacht sinks (even if the lifejacket inflates), so it's best to keep things in perspective.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    You still don't need to use one unless the laws in your cruising area state that you do. To alleviate your worry you can educate yourself, for example : -

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...ifejacket.aspx
    https://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/...fejacket-17599

Or just Google "how to inspect a lifejacket" and lots of information will be available to you.

In general you are quite right to be concerned, especially if you rely on a lifejacket supplied by someone else as you have no idea if they really have inspected it. Rather than blind trust, a bit of research will allow you to make an easy check without much hassle to at least verify that everything looks OK.

Of course, if you get entangled in the yacht, you could be dragged under and drown as the yacht sinks (even if the lifejacket inflates), so it's best to keep things in perspective.
    Holy malony B.o. B happy days , don't put the poor soul of sailing
    But all good advice a basic check and understanding of your life jacket should see you 99% ok
    Flying birds have no master

Bought the missus a new shaped L J . All singing, started to show her the quick safety details (powerboat 2 level) to find the co2 cylinder was about 3 turns undone.
    Read up on the RYA service you life jacket already posted even if brand new.

Stood on a tender on Davits once to reach the belly straps. It twisted leaving me 8í in the air looking at the bathing platform below, needless to say I did not stay 8í up for very long.
    Hit bathing platform, it was originally head first but turned head away, bounced and twisted, hit the water, life jacket went off and pinned me under the bathing platform with just a 3Ē air gap and slight waves continuously closing that gap.
    It takes a bit of effort to push under to get out from the the bathing platform when the life jacket is holding you up

Thanks for your answers, I will go to local chandlery today and ask them to show me details of release mechanizm. I am not worried about maintenance, I am more worried about some weird fault that would prevent inflation. I will definitely consider old, foam ones instead of pneumatic. At least those can't go broke.

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    Thanks for your answers, I will go to local chandlery today and ask them to show me details of release mechanizm. I am not worried about maintenance, I am more worried about some weird fault that would prevent inflation. I will definitely consider old, foam ones instead of pneumatic. At least those can't go broke.
    Not sure what is behind your worry. The main risks with automatic lifejackets are (a) loose gas cylinders and (b) not being properly checked/serviced annually. Address these and should be fine. Plus two tiers of fallback in worst case - as stated earlier.
    Canít see the chandlery can show you anything about the firing mechanism that canít be better seen online.

More importantly, what is your intended use for these lifejackets. There are times when solid foam style lifejackets are better (eg in dinghy sailing) and times when gas inflatable are better (eg yacht sailing). They are not generally interchangeable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast