Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Safety of automatic life vest

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Not sure what is behind your worry.
    Besides sailing, I am also aviation enthusiasts. Plane and gliders are still crashing because of very stupid malfunctions that should not really happen. The same with automatic lifejacket - maybe its my safety obsession, but I am worried that release mechanizm is not 100% safe. Maybe when I see how mechanizm is working, I will stop worry - I simply never used one, thats it.

I need them for estuary/costal cruising, I already have buoyancy aid for my Laser sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    Besides sailing, I am also aviation enthusiasts. Plane and gliders are still crashing because of very stupid malfunctions that should not really happen. The same with automatic lifejacket - maybe its my safety obsession, but I am worried that release mechanizm is not 100% safe. Maybe when I see how mechanizm is working, I will stop worry - I simply never used one, thats it.

I need them for estuary/costal cruising, I already have buoyancy aid for my Laser sailing.
    For estuary cruising on a yacht a gas inflatable automatic lifejacket is ideal. Research online the firing mechanism, or indeed test one yourself. If avoid Hammar type it is generally just a block of material that dissolves in water which releases a pin which punctures a thin area of metal on the gas cylinder.

You are over worrying it. Nothing in life is 100% safe, and lots of other risks in coastal sailing - mainly related to going to and from the boat, in car or to pub.

In the day job I am a Safety Engineer*, nothing is 100% safe. We mitigate the risks as best we can, and to be honest we are pretty good at keeping nuclear power stations blowing up every few years, aeroplanes from falling out of the sky (let's not talk about the Boeing Max373) and trains from crashing weekly. Personally, I wear a good quality automatic lifejacket. I really don't want to end up face down and unconscious in the oggin but if I do I want something that will 99.95% of the time inflate and turn my face out of the water pronto.

You may find the following report intesting.

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/sink...oss-of-3-lives

*What Safety Engineers do

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_engineering
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

The chief cause of lifejacket malfunction, as we are always being told, is failure to wear it. A modern lifejacket is more comfortable than bulkier kinds and therefore more likely to be worn. As stated above, failure of the mechanism is not the end of one's options.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

+ lots.

As the RNLI says, "Useless unless worn."

Yes, there are odd failure modes and situations where a lifejacket is going to cause problems, but it's akin to the very rare situations where a seat belt in a car will do more harm than good. A solid LJ would be worse than an inflatable in most of those situations, because it's a bit hard to deflate polystyrene foam when it's the buoyancy that's the problem.

The only totally safe way to sail is under an oak tree. Then the damn thing will get struck by lightning and fall on your head. The most dangerous part of my weekend's sailing is the trip along the M27.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

And don’t forget that the most dangerous place to be is in bed as that is where most people die

Well, thank you for your answers. I will buy a solid Crewsaver life west and hope for the best. Everyone is using them, so why not me?
    I will assume that my 90 minutes drive to the place where my mooring is will be much more dangerous...
    And for 7 yo, would you buy inflatable life jacket or stick with solid (I would stick with solid for some time)?

And for 7 yo, would you buy inflatable life jacket or stick with solid (I would stick with solid for some time)?
    Definitely solid/permanent buoyancy for young ones.
    allGadgets Marine
    www.allgadgets.co.uk

I will buy a solid Crewsaver life west and hope for the best. Everyone is using them, so why not me?
    Crewsaver do not do solid lifejackets for adults. They do foam buoyancy aids but these are for use within close range of rescue. Crucially they will not keep an unconscious MOB the right wa up (as well as having less buoyancy).

The solid (foam) lifejackets for children have more buoyancy and a collar which will turn them onto their back. These are ideal for coastal yachting use.

Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    They do foam buoyancy aids but these are for use within close range of rescue.
    Sorry, I am still learning english. By solid I mean good or proper (180N one).

Thanks for advise for child jacket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast